TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

- ask away
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

Post by isaaclevy »

Hello there i am curious about this SYNC option that the traktor scratch...and i have been wondering if these "famous djs" or good djs are using it at all....

i have opossite feelings about it..in a way i think it is like cheating, couse one of the skills of a good dj is to be able to sync, not to press a notton and that's it...but in te other hand, i feel like selling my serato and buying the traktor to sync with those 4 decks...

i don tknow wat do you think?
bum-tak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

Post by bum-tak »

isaaclevy wrote:Hello there i am curious about this SYNC option that the traktor scratch...and i have been wondering if these "famous djs" or good djs are using it at all....

i have opossite feelings about it..in a way i think it is like cheating, couse one of the skills of a good dj is to be able to sync, not to press a notton and that's it...but in te other hand, i feel like selling my serato and buying the traktor to sync with those 4 decks...

IMO there's absolutely no sense in buying traktor in order to use the sync function! you buy traktor cus you wanna have physical control over your "non-physical" >(files) music!
very bomb ep congrats @ all
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

For me, it's like difference between car with automatic transmission and real, hardcore driver, manual gear shifter.

With manual control You have more control in Your hands, You feel closer to Your engine, maybe even You can pull some stunts that You couldn't without Your hand of mighty stick. In the beginning, You sweat your pants out, feel like it is really hard, and You pay almost all Your attention to shifting gears. Later, it all goes in reflexes zone.

With auto mode on, You quickly get to it, You start enjoying view pretty fast, You always have both of Your hands on Your wheel. Maybe in some time in future You could feel limited by stupid machines way of changing those gears.

BUT, both cars get You where You want to go, and both have something extra for You to enjoy the trip...

It all depends on what You want. Good DJ is not one who beat syncs good, does EQ good... Technical part of it is important, but point is in music people hear, so Your way of doing it is only important for helping You feel the vibe the way you like it.

So, if You like Your hand deep in Your engine, stick to manual beat syncing. If You want to spare some time and get to more tracks, more EFX or whatever, or You just don't feel like riding the beats all the time, use SYNC.

I think people forget that everything is in MUSIC.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

Post by isaaclevy »

bum-tak wrote:
isaaclevy wrote:Hello there i am curious about this SYNC option that the traktor scratch...and i have been wondering if these "famous djs" or good djs are using it at all....

IMO there's absolutely no sense in buying traktor in order to use the sync function! you buy traktor cus you wanna have physical control over your "non-physical" >(files) music!
yes i know, i am having that physical control on the serato...but why use that kind of inteface, with turn tables if the fun is on spining them and beatmatching and sync manualy..... maybe with the 4 decks is fun, i dont know...better use midi controller then...what for touching the records...
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

ArhiteK wrote:For me, it's like difference between car with automatic transmission and real, hardcore driver, manual gear shifter.

With manual control You have more control in Your hands, You feel closer to Your engine, maybe even You can pull some stunts that You couldn't without Your hand of mighty stick. In the beginning, You sweat your pants out, feel like it is really hard, and You pay almost all Your attention to shifting gears. Later, it all goes in reflexes zone.

With auto mode on, You quickly get to it, You start enjoying view pretty fast, You always have both of Your hands on Your wheel. Maybe in some time in future You could feel limited by stupid machines way of changing those gears.

BUT, both cars get You where You want to go, and both have something extra for You to enjoy the trip...

It all depends on what You want. Good DJ is not one who beat syncs good, does EQ good... Technical part of it is important, but point is in music people hear, so Your way of doing it is only important for helping You feel the vibe the way you like it.

So, if You like Your hand deep in Your engine, stick to manual beat syncing. If You want to spare some time and get to more tracks, more EFX or whatever, or You just don't feel like riding the beats all the time, use SYNC.

I think people forget that everything is in MUSIC.
ok thanks for the lecture hahaha...i feel like i dont know now, u are totaly right....
nice nice....
Koppnicker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Koppnicker »

I tried this Traktor beatmatch option several times and it has its pros and its cons.

You really have nothing to do to sync your tracks, except pushind the sync button. So this gives you the freedom to play with your music and you get loads of new oppurtunities. It's fun actually and I guess I made some pretty cool things while I was using it.

BUT it just don't feels right. Sure I was able to realize all the things I had in my head, but there is something missing. You know I don't own turntables myself (and yes it sucks damn hard just beeing able to dj at your friends' homes) but I ever felt like there is missing something when I used Traktor.
I made whole sets just with my computer and my mouse. And it sucks fucking hard, even when those cool things I mentioned before came out of it. No Question I like those sets (I made them for private use, like "best-of-cds") and I enjoy hearing them.
But the knowledge that I didn't made them "correctly" pisses me off, cuz it's cheating as you said before. I don't feel proud of what I made, as I do when i just mix with vinyl even there's just one cool transition in it.

Just my opinion, nothing against anybody who uses Traktor. :)
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

Koppnicker wrote:I tried this Traktor beatmatch option several times and it has its pros and its cons.

You really have nothing to do to sync your tracks, except pushind the sync button. So this gives you the freedom to play with your music and you get loads of new oppurtunities. It's fun actually and I guess I made some pretty cool things while I was using it.

BUT it just don't feels right. Sure I was able to realize all the things I had in my head, but there is something missing. You know I don't own turntables myself (and yes it sucks damn hard just beeing able to dj at your friends' homes) but I ever felt like there is missing something when I used Traktor.
I made whole sets just with my computer and my mouse. And it sucks fucking hard, even when those cool things I mentioned before came out of it. No Question I like those sets (I made them for private use, like "best-of-cds") and I enjoy hearing them.
But the knowledge that I didn't made them "correctly" pisses me off, cuz it's cheating as you said before. I don't feel proud of what I made, as I do when i just mix with vinyl even there's just one cool transition in it.

Just my opinion, nothing against anybody who uses Traktor. :)
it is nothign about traktor from my side eighter....i am just curious...i am thinking on switching to traktor but just becouse of the 4 deks..i wan to try that with 2 TT and the other 2 deks maybe wiht some faderfox controller for traktor.....

i pretty much wated to see what people think about this...
BlueFog
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BlueFog »

this video of richie hawtin was kind of interesting.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k31nexVPcvMo3KKOiu