Knowing your music!?

- open
08englanders
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Knowing your music!?

Post by 08englanders »

hi, ive been getting into djing (half a year now), but have hit kinda a slump in my progress of becoming a dj... I always have thought of myself to have a terrible memory. I will look at something and try to remember it, but 5 seconds later ill forget it. This is kinda of a probelm when im playing a track and im trying to think of what another good track to mix into it is, but i cant imagine the music im my head.

Does anyone else have this probelm? Are there stratagies around this? how many times must u listening to a track to get it down permanantly, cause i know at anytime i would be able to picture or hear SANDSTORM in my head.
peteone
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by peteone »

dude trust me go to some different forum you will be lost in here
no sandstorm here
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

I don't know if you are using Sandstorm as a general example (fact is I can remember exactly Sandstorm too, because i heard it - unfortunately - too many times).

If not, good luck on here lol
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

You just have to listen to Image over and over until you can remember all of Image without hearing it.
08englanders
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 08englanders »

im using sandstorm as an example because ive heard it so many times that its engraved in my memory. What i'm asking for is if u guys have anyprobelms knowing all ur music off the top of ur head, so that when ur djing u can choose what song to go to next faster.
08englanders
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 08englanders »

and peteone, just cause i used a refrence to sandstorm doesnt mean im a trance head
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

try to associate the cover artwork with the general feeling of the tune.
Visual memory.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Try giving it more time - 6 months isn't very long, it takes time to aquire a varied music collection, know it intimately and then have an idea of how to present it to others.

Other than that - learn by example, the net is awash with quality mixes and tracklistings these days.