What constitutes "boring" minimal?

- ask away
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What constitutes "boring" minimal?

Post by damagedgoods »

I'm curious - for those of you who have posted before along the lines of "modern minimal all sounds the same" etc, can you give some examples of which artists you think exemplify the generic, unremarkable side of 'mnml'? And, just as importantly (if not more so), who are some of your favourite artists who you believe are making music with a difference?

Not trying to start a war at all - I'm just relatively new to techno and trying to work out exactly what it is that people are referring to when they talk about the plethora of "boring" minimal artists out there. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of who they mean but it never hurts to be sure....

dg
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Gaiser = Boring

Martin Buttrich = God

Marc Houle = shite

Thomas melchior = inspiring

This is my opinion btw, and what do i know?
michielwijnen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by michielwijnen »

yeah I think you're gonna get a lot of different answers here...

Just depends on what kind off stuff you're into...
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

There's no general rule to apply here so you'll get all kinds of different answers.
And just to use the example of "minimaltechnohouse", my opinion is roughly the opposite.. ;)
Last edited by tettezak on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

I know there's no rule - I just want to know what your opinion is :-)
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

ah - sorry - i just reread your post!
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

There's no rule - it's all opinion.

My opinion is that a lot of the 'boring minimal' might be the sort of stuff that actually probably has more cred as minimal music :

Studio 1, Mike Inc, Brinkmann, Basic Channel, Mosaic Records, DBX etc.

This is all very loopy, sparse, doesn't appear to change much, is very subtle and mostly created as a dj tool, the minimal part being descriptive of the fact it's sparse, subtle, minimised music. it's all techno, or dubby techno, or reduced / sparse techno, why this suddenly became a genre in it's own right - I have no idea. Anyway - I suspect the stuff people are referring to as boring follows this sort of strain - but I could be wrong - I don't tend to read the threads where people pointlessly argue about this sort of thing anymore and someone running through a list of current names means very little to me, so someone would have to post clips to aid the definition I think (for me anyway).

And the stuff that isn't boring is probably all this plastic sounding sparkly pop 'mnml' sh!t I hear everyone going on about that all sounds the same but is supposedly the cutting edge of experimental music and yet constantly sounds like a perlon or sleeparchive record ;)

Ohhh yeah - and the boring stuff you have to buy in Hardwax, whereas the Good stuff you can get in HMV ;)

hope this helps ;) heheh
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

Lazy novices releasing music because it's easy and they can is boring and i think that's generally what a lot of people are referring to.

Virtually unchanged, unedited samples strewn together to make the base of a song, but lacking that which makes it music.

Uninspiring tracks that provoke little or no emotional response.

Techno is supposed to make you feel sexy and by god, if it doesn't do that, i'd rather be listening to bluegrass.

Check these on Beatport, they were release ten days from one another:

Boring, juvenile: David Van Juice - One Nine December on Cupido recording.

Hot sexiness: Seph's remix of Cosacos on Einmaleins Muzik

Just my opinion.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08