when is a critique (OK).

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

when is a critique (OK).

Post by John Clees »

This should have been (moved) to the general section and some good points were made..I've always felt if you don't care for someone's music... don't comment..

this saves me from making 1000's of negative comments in many people's post... just to give my .02 -

one point in the mara trax post... it was said since it was for a website..it was ok to critique since they were well established artist....

either way I still think that if you dont care for someone's music then skip it.. adding negativity to someone's art.. because it's your right or that you can... I dont agree with..

please feel free to give opinions / state an example...I just feel anyone at (any) time (anyone) can be critiqued...so why are dj mixes the ok to just shout off.... let alone to their face or even posting for 100 's of others to see and read about..

hey your shoes are dirty / brush your teeth they are yellow / your hair is not combed / you eyes are big / your pants are short / you look shady / you act shady / you play bad music.. / hey I think so and so is a rude/crude/ jerk off... and since I'm bigger than him I should ruff him up when I seem him at oslo because I (can).... - how depressing and how draining do you want to make yourself and your world around you if you think this is ok to do.. because you want or feel like doing such a thing..

just a huge ball of something that I feel (never) will promote good will and therefore I dont agree that it's someones RIGHT to offer a critique just because they can...

be sure to tell old ladies they look like wrinkled prunes and are disgusting to look at...

just my .02
Last edited by John Clees on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

If your criticizing members mixes/ tracks I think it's fine so long as your constructive! Personally I prefer criticism. How else would you learn?

Whereas professional artists? I don't know.

But I hate an over pretentious analysis of a track/ mix etc.

I also think that because some artists are on here, people aren't always honest. I dunno though.
(I may be guilty of both of these myself)

If I don't like somthing generally I don't comment on it. Why be negative? You can't stop a track getting released or played by commenting on it on a forum. And why should you be able to?
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

John, it's the internet!! . Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one especially on the interweb. I think critiques are good whether they are good or bad as long as people that are dissing have valid reasoning imo. If they are being negative Nancy's and being jerks about it and not civil maybe Mods should send warning that this is a community that generally gets along. Being an asshat just because shouldn't fly :)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Personally (I) prefer criticism
key word.(I). that was another point...

If someone is asking... well then for sure...they are open and its invited..

that is (exactly) my point....

it should be invited..

not offered..
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Hutch wrote: Mods should send warning that this is a community that generally gets along. Being an asshat just because shouldn't fly :)
your right..but I was really hoping that was already established..

when I came here their were 5000 members... now its closing on 20,000

but I've been wrong before.. but perhaps (that) is the point I'm trying to make..

not to mention their is a few who know who they are that seem to to draw from negativity..
Last edited by John Clees on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

to repeat some of the points i made, i think it is really important to separate critique from negativity. these are not necessarily the same thing.

a culture without critique, opinion and judgment is one that becomes completely unreflective. by refusing or stifling comment it just creates a culture of boosterism where everybody slaps everyone else on the back. it might be all smiles and giggles but it isnt good for the music.

this is a primary reason my friends and i started our blog mnlssgs. our mission statement is roughly this:

We just got sick of bitching about lame blogs and sites that do nothing but praise and boost, so, as well as talk about things we like, we’re gonna stick the boot into things we don’t and try to describe why. ... Basically, what we are really trying to contribute to is informed reflection and discussion on all this amazing music we listen to. This means praising the good stuff, calling the bad bits, while thinking and questioning a lot of the rest.

it is all about the dialectic baby.

John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

also to add...from memory I think richie himself hated to have his mixes recorded due to the thick skinned people here in detroit adding their .02 or feeling they could critique and perhaps didn't allow his mixes to be shared due to this very same reason... some speculation but I think some truth in that..

either / or ... if its jacking up someones thread / blog / telling them in person.. when they are trying to create positive energy.. or (any) other way..

are we still on ..hey... it's human error.. I think by know we all know the idea of not beat matching 100% is going to happen...

WHY ON GODS EARTH ARE PEOPLE STILL COMMENTING on this... jesus..

critiques KILL creative energy..

it effects the energy of such wonderful expressions..

that is all I'm going to say..

- unless asked..
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

culture of boosterism
:arrow: :idea: