Live setup

- ask away
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Live setup

Post by The_Glass_Olive »

I just played my first gig with ableton, previously only used vinyl. Although I enjoyed it I didnt realise until I sound checked that the sound quality from my laptop is just sh!t on a big system. The guy who played after me sounded so much clearer so I think it was definitely something with my setup and not the system.

I am using a bog standard laptop; handles live but the sound card is the standard sigmatel or whatever its called. Could this be the problem? I think it is a mono output too...

The guy who played after me used a preamp and mac powerbook, didnt ask him what soundcard, but his sound was sooooooo much better.

Can anyone give me some tips on my setup? What would help the clarity of my sound the most? I think my line out (headphone jack ) is slightly fucked too; it had to be duct taped in place...

Suggestions as to soundcard/preamps are welcome (yes I know these have been asked a lot).

Thanks guys.
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

you need a soundcard!!!
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

remember:
you get what you pay for

good sound costs some money
t
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Yes you are right Sorgenkind. I think I will get an Echo Indigo soundcard for my next gig, but I'm just not in the position economically to buy a new laptop (mine still can handle live with many scenes though).

I wonder if a preamp would be useful? I currently use a headphone jack to dual RCA cord that connects the line out/headphone jack of my laptop to a line input on the back of the booth's mixer. Is there a better way to connect to a club's soundsystem? Will a preamp change this?
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Don't think that a good soundcard is the only solution to you're problem. It's just one piece of the pie..

I need some more inside information, so I have some questions for you.

1.Do you use WAV or Mp3's?

2.What warping mode do you use?

3.What kind of EQ do you use? Inside the box (EQ3 or EQ8), or external mixer?

If you want the same sound quality like a TT or a CDJ, use a TT or a CDJ. Ableton live is not going to give you that same sound. With the right way of working and some good, expensive, VST's you can get close ..
Last edited by S.D.L on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

try stereo sometimes. it helps alot

8)
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

I use mainly wav. some mp3's, with EQ3 and Beats warping. I dont need perfect sound, just what I had was very very bad, almost undanceable, especially compared to the guy who played after me.

I have no real experience of this stuff so I'm finding it difficult to know what to do...
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Stay with wav, mp3's can give warp/sound problems

Always use complex mode or re-pitch for warping, beats mode is the preset and it's sh!t, especially audio wise. Re-pitch gives you the best sound for sure, but if you're not a good warper you should go with complex mode. Play a song and switch between the three modes you'll see re-pitch is the best. Note to that, complex mode needs 10x CPU then re-pitch.....

EQ3 is sh!t!! Check you're PM :wink:

There is so much more I can tell you about this subject but I don't have the time to explain everything. I hope I helped you on you're way a little bit