Nord Lead 3 vs Nord Modular G2

- ask away
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Nord Lead 3 vs Nord Modular G2

Post by northernlight »

So, i got some credit at my local store.

i look for a synth to add to my monomachine and machinedrum.

At the moment i'm torn up between a Nord Lead 3 and a Nord Modular G2. Please help me dedice

What i love about the elektron machines is the ease of use, the imidiate interaction, the way i can come up with ideas very fast.

I sold other hardware, like the DSI Desktop Evolver, that is not as intuitive to use as the elektron machines. they realy set a high bar.

Now, i know that the Nord Lead is a great synth and is similar like the elektron machines in the way that it is very fast to use and has a great interface for interaction. But from what i heard, the sound-possibilities are a bit "limited".

The G2 seems to be the other way around. Because of it's modular nature you can really get into sound design, and can come up with nearly everything you could imagine. But i also imagine that the interface and the need of a computer to programm it, can take away a lot of fun that for example the elektrons or the lead provide.

What would you do?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Nord Lead 3 vs Nord Modular G2

Post by steevio »

northernlight wrote:So, i got some credit at my local store.

i look for a synth to add to my monomachine and machinedrum.

At the moment i'm torn up between a Nord Lead 3 and a Nord Modular G2. Please help me dedice

What i love about the elektron machines is the ease of use, the imidiate interaction, the way i can come up with ideas very fast.

I sold other hardware, like the DSI Desktop Evolver, that is not as intuitive to use as the elektron machines. they realy set a high bar.

Now, i know that the Nord Lead is a great synth and is similar like the elektron machines in the way that it is very fast to use and has a great interface for interaction. But from what i heard, the sound-possibilities are a bit "limited".

The G2 seems to be the other way around. Because of it's modular nature you can really get into sound design, and can come up with nearly everything you could imagine. But i also imagine that the interface and the need of a computer to programm it, can take away a lot of fun that for example the elektrons or the lead provide.

What would you do?
thats a hard one mate, i've got the 3, and i got it from my mate who also had a modular, he preferred the modular.
the 3 is limited a bit, but its totally intuitive and its good for creating sounds which you can send to other filters etc. thats what i do. its good for percussive sounds and bass. the architecture is clever, but the modulation possibities are limited.
if youre after wackiness and exploration, you need to go for the modular, but it probably requires more concentration.
chester
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chester »

i have the nord modular part one. it's still incredible.
entek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by entek »

i think u should go for the modular.
but why did u give away the evolver?imo it's a great instrument though interface is not that practical..
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

The G2 is infinitely more powerful than the Lead3, but the learning curve will take a little more time before it will become "fun" like an Elektron. Also, you really think the Nord sounds inferior to the Mono as far as sound quality? That's a new one..
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

entek wrote:i think u should go for the modular.
but why did u give away the evolver?imo it's a great instrument though interface is not that practical..
because of the way i make music. i work in bursts, very fast.
with the evolver i always found myself having to stop making music to search some parameter or decifer the codes for modulations sources and destinations. At first, i thought i would get used to it, but after a year i sold it.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Nord Lead 3 vs Nord Modular G2

Post by northernlight »

steevio wrote: thats a hard one mate, i've got the 3, and i got it from my mate who also had a modular, he preferred the modular.
the 3 is limited a bit, but its totally intuitive and its good for creating sounds which you can send to other filters etc. thats what i do. its good for percussive sounds and bass. the architecture is clever, but the modulation possibities are limited.
if youre after wackiness and exploration, you need to go for the modular, but it probably requires more concentration.
the lead 3 will definitly fit better into my workflow. but i'm a bit afraid that i could get bored to fast.

the modular would be a bit of a hassle to programm, but i'm sure it will take a long time before i explored it fully. i also love to play around with modular patches, but then i probably won't get any music done.

still undecided.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

sauce wrote:The G2 is infinitely more powerful than the Lead3, but the learning curve will take a little more time before it will become "fun" like an Elektron. Also, you really think the Nord sounds inferior to the Mono as far as sound quality? That's a new one..
the learning curve isn't a problem realy. i already spend lots of time with the G2 Software.

i don't think the nord sounds inferior, but different. and that's why i want it. the monomachine has it's strenghs, but it's not exactly the pad and chord machine.