New to the forum and new to producing

- ask away
Castel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New to the forum and new to producing

Post by Castel »

Greetings All

I am very new to the producing scene and want to get started. Im coming from a indie/rock band so music is not new to me.

I do however would like to learn more about producing music. Mostly experimental and look at it as a hobby.

As of now I only own an Alesis ion synth and Reason 3.0 software. Is this a good start?. Could you possibly direct me to a producing for dumbees site where I can learn the basics of the trade///

Tips noteable upgrades?

Thanks and I hope to learn alot from this site !

Salud !
msfilter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by msfilter »

Drake44444
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Drake44444 »

Get the Dance Music Manual,

talks a lot about creating sounds, midi, recording, mixing down, etc.

It really helped me a lot, from know nothing, to not being a complete idiot.

Get Synth1, and Crystal, free synths and try them out.

When you want something new, demo out a bunch of products and see what you like best.

Also I prefer Ableton because its DJ software, and full production software all in one, and it comes with a full set of working vsts to get you started right away. But a lot of people prefer whatever they use, so you have to use whatever works best for you.
Castel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Castel »

Thanks for the prompt response guy's!, and thanks for the links!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: New to the forum and new to producing

Post by steevio »

Castel wrote: As of now I only own an Alesis ion synth and Reason 3.0 software. Is this a good start?.
yes thats a good start, nothing wrong with Reason, several top producers use it, and its a good way to learn about synthesis.
i'd advise you to read manuals !!!
many people skip that and just launch in impatiently, but if you spend some time learning how your equipment and software works, you'll progress much faster, and get better results in the end.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

agreed with steevio, reason is pretty alright for a novice and even for the demanding ones. i used several applications before deciding to stick to reason mainly because of the really intuitive interface and a creative layout of modules. i find those machines in reason really stimulative to my creativity, cant explain why. maybe because i feel like i own a bunch of fictive hardware :)
ableton however is alright, but really rigid at the user-product interaction which i find really annoying and boring, the sound engine is somewhat better than on reason, but as you said, you are only starting, so reason should be like a warm welcome to patching, synthesis and everything included. best thing is that you don't have a bunch of synths to loose yourself in them, only two main ones, so you can learn alot from them. best of luck!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

You got a pretty good setup with Reason already. Youtube got a lot of clips/faqs on stuff.
Castel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Castel »

thanks once againg for keeping it informative!