Organising records at home and in your bag

- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Organising records at home and in your bag

Post by Celltek »

I have no organisation whatsoever in my record collection. I'm currently approaching the 600 mark and its becoming increasingly difficult to keep track. I keep my records is buckets but I think I may need to buy this Ikea shelf, and then do I sort according to label or "sound/genre".

Second question. When packing your case for a gig, which records do you take. Do you prepare a set (like you know how you will structure your set). You can never know how a gig turns out. I usually just take some new tracks with tracks I know that work.. is this the best way?

What works for you??
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

first question.

have a IKEA shelf. works like a sharm, and some crates on the side with the ones i use most. divided into styles musically, and then later in to labels.

so technotechno in one, house in one, misc in one, more minimal in one... then different labels sorted on style in that one too :) feels good to be a nerd!! and of course i have all my records in an account on discogs.com :D
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

As far as organization goes, if you want pre-made...checkout the mdf record storage devices from UDG. Otherwise, just make it yourself. Personally, since I'm currently moving across the pond, most of my records are in open boxes minus the ones in flight cases.

Regarding gigs, I like to bring what I consider solid openers. Tracks that you know inside & out to establish your set, establish the crowd, & get yourself relaxed. Perhaps, 3-5 of those. After that, it's all spontaneous programming. I usually have a variety of older & fresh tracks. That way, you're fully prepared no matter the crowd, venue, or mood of yourself or the event in general.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Oh, I forgot sorting. The way I sort would probably not work for anyone but me. I basically have my records sorted in bundles as they were purchased. Now, this has become mixed up over my past 2 moves. However, for the most part, that's how they are arranged. Except, I do have a bulk of house tracks that are all together, my old Twisted collection is all together, all of my old goa is grouped, & some ambient openers are also in one section. Other than that, I just know where almost every record is located. I'm weird 8) ! I'll probably re-organize the entire collection when I get settled in Prague.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

thomasjaldemark wrote:have a IKEA shelf.
exactly...

by mood could help...

dub / dance / downtempo / glitch / deep / house / ect..

2nd:

I never ever plan sets ahead of time.. .. I've found in my day.. the programmed ones sound flat lined.. and the ones I dont play from my heart/emotion/ and passion... usually end up twice as good without effort the extra effort to pre-program....

* going on compliments from mix cd's..
Last edited by John Clees on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Thanks alot chaps!. I think I will go to Ikea this week for their storage :-)
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20863

even ricardo has four of the smaller 4x4 ikea shelves (expedit).
they work for almost every dj i know. there is also a tv edition available, according to the catalogue i found today in my mailbox.[/url]
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

i have one of the cheapers (but on the other way and with legs): Ikea Expedit