arrangement/sequencing

- ask away
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

arrangement/sequencing

Post by andei »

I'm new to producing electronic music (altough i'd dj for some time now) and one thing i found to be really dificult is to arrange a track.
it's not that i lack any sense of musical structure, but while i can come up quite easily with a verse/chorus/verse pattern while playing the guitar, when i'm trying to make something on ableton it gets pretty difficult to go anywhere outside a loop.
i don't know if i made myself clear and my english isn't very good, but i just wanted to know if anyone could give me any tips or something.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

yup, that's the advantage of instruments. and people say its easy to make electronic music.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

try to imagine in your head, how you want your track to progress, switch off ableton and just do it in your head. maybe even new elements will come into your head.

anyway, try that and after youve got an idea how you want your track to progress and evolve switch back ableton.

sometimes what helps is not to value or care about the loop that you made, ie not get excited about it. Make a mockery of your loop, be as cold hearted as possible, spit on your loop sh!t on it, but dont let it influence your decisions, make it your bitch and command it to do what ever you have in your head!
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Oooh, harsh on the loop man....
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

Well what i did when i first started out was making one kick ass loop and put all my effort at making that one loop sound good.
It's a good and bad thing though, I had a great sound but when i started making variations i'd easily say "this is rubbish". So what i did was make a track with only one loop (not the best thing to do cause it will be boring then, no matter how cool the sound is)

So the first thing I do now is make a loop and i try not to get too fond of it.
Then i f*ck it up in all ways I can till i have enough variations and then choose what i like. It doesn't have to fit with each other cause that's easily fixed with cutting it, filtering etc.

Then when you got all your sounds start the arrangement process.
Simply choose some sounds that fit an intro like simple percussion, a high passed kick, some pad sounds. And then evolve it, like add slome hihats to the existing percussion, add a bass, take away the highpass of the kick.

Owh yeah and don't forget to analyse some tracks you like, you'd be suprised what cool things you'll find.
Last edited by SpacyX on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

Using Ableton the options are infinate as far as arrangement options go.

Try mapping different scenes to different keyboard strokes, maybe channel on/off buttons to the numbers, and some automation on various effects.

Then just set record and 'play' the arrangement.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Oooh, harsh on the loop man....
your right, forget what i said, fall in love with your loop and let it blind you and only then you will reach god and enlightenment :lol:
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

New Guy wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Oooh, harsh on the loop man....
your right, forget what i said, fall in love with your loop and let it blind you and only then you will reach god and enlightenment :lol:
It's like real love. :D