a taste of sonar..........

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

a taste of sonar..........

Post by MarkA »

I've been sitting on a few bits since I came back from Sonar and had a day off work so did this. This has been massively influenced by what I can only describe as one of the best weeks of my life, and i hope you enjoy this mix as much as I did making it. Yet again, no Gui Boratto :stongue:

matt star - hypno
This record is all over the place at the minute, some serious sounds going down, a true stormer in it's own right, but gave me the platform into...

audio soul project - community (peace division mix)
what can I say about this record? peace division disappear off the radar for so long, then turn up in style with 5 fucking incredible records. Whilst this record more than stands up on it's own, the bootlegging possiblilties are endless, and I'd like to think the way I've used it with hypno and maxwells demon have put a fairly new slant on it

adultnapper - maxwells demon (alexi delano mix)
typical delano at the minute, some very cool sounds and driving as fck. Resonators on overdrive, I'm loving this sound at the moment

roland appel - dark soldier
fucking sick. not quite dark enough to be called sinister, but not far off. The strings are insane

paul ritch - metro express
there's nothing like a paul ritch record to pick up the pace a bit, and this is no different, solid tech groover

steadycam - klyftans prakt
one of those "what the fck is this?" records when you're out. I found out what it fucking was, enjoy

andy stott - massacre
andy stott was one of the highlights of the sonar festival for me, had a very large amount of people raving their tits off in the early evening sun, and this record epitomises why he was so good that day. Great groove and the strings are as dark as the title suggests.

avus - furry hat (feedbackapella)
I was planning on playing the original as well, so thought I'd drop this first and try and be a clever cnt. Didn't work out that way, did go nicely over massacre though

peace division - voodoo (it's in the wall)
I was supposed to play pulses but clicked the wrong one. It honestly didn't matter what I played off the soft heavy EP, they're all fucking gold

superpitcher - superjam
this seems to have been overlooked slightly, been doing lots for me lately, but it has to be used as a DJ tool in the same way as blood on my hands. It's good on it's own, but it's incredible with something else

avus - spnkr
this is the something else. The weaker of the two tracks on the latest BC release helps to create probably my favourite passage of a mix that I have ever done, and I hope you agree. Deep, dark and hypnotic. I also like the way he uses the welcome preset from ablpro, as if I wouldn't notice :stongue:

lucio aquillina - chemin
fabulous record, got some serious bite and follows on from superjam and spnkr brilliantly. The vocal clip just seemed so fitting.

alland byallo - dark tide disco (dapayk remix)
everywhere, and mental.

elite force - you (perc dub)
you could probably play this to someone who hasn't heard it and say it's a james holden record from a couple of years ago and they'd probably believe you. Thats not a bad thing.

abe duque - i'm not your baby
it's an abe duque record, a destroyer of dancefloors everywhere

ryan crosson - gotham road (magda mix)
I saw magda play one of the best sets I've ever heard at the city hall in barcelona. This was one of my favourite records of last year, I fucking love her take on it and you really should too. Make the tea.

mr oizo - halfanedit
awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome. So futuristic sounding in a cheap 80's sort of way, only Mr Oizo can do this so well.

tiefschwarz - blow (radioslave mix)
original blows, radioslave saves. Matt Edwards and his "nightclub sound" have been tearing up dancefloors everywhere for a considerable period of time now. He closed Sonar down and I raved my fucking tits off. I can't remember the last time he released a record I didn't love.

rune rk - when we were young
I was handed a CD on the second day of the festival by a lovely chap from copenhagen advertising a festival they are putting on. This was on it. This is the best thing I have ever recieved for free. I can't afford to goto this festival though, so I'll play this in the hope one of you will

the streets - weak become heroes (royksopp memory lane mix)
why is this here? I'll tell you. The day after the festival is the day of the beach party's. All of them were closed down, apart from one, c/o pop's sets on the beach. It was a fucking nightmare to find, very small, and absolutely fucking rammed. As you all know though, this usually makes for the best atmosphere's. As the sun was setting over the barcelona beach, with Tobias Thomas playing records which were bordering on trance, me and my friends were contemplating on how good the previous 5 days had been, and then I heard the intro to this song and the look on me and my friends face can only be recreated by using this gif
never has a DJ played such a perfect record, at such a perfect time, in such a perfect place, and the memory will stay with me forever.

we all smile, we all sing

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RSLCEQMI
Last edited by MarkA on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
betzy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by betzy »

sweet, all these descriptions...thanks, nice work
latin_funk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by latin_funk »

Great post....
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

This is an excellent post! I really understand how it feels to be in a festival for a few days and then end up in a void of people, music with a space and time to go through memories. The music seems to be like snapshots of memories caught into a frozen sound. This is really what techno is about, I reckon.

There's something thought about the "hits of the moment" that I really dislike; it gets somehow commercial. I'm much more interested in the tracks that aren't a hit, that need assembling or part of a puzzle.

I will listen to that set. I want to know what Sonar sounded alike and what your experience was. :wink:
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Wow.. I love your enthusiasm... wish more people had that vibe... d/ling now and thank you :)
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

I hope you all enjoy the set as much as I did making it, and hearing most of it during that week, sorry if I posted it in the wrong forum :)
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

downloading now, thanks for the liner notes behind each track

glad you had fun at sonar !!

I'll check out the mix on the drive into work

8)
punchi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by punchi »

Great write up...although sendspace sucks for me :( server is full...

And btw it's nice to see that Lucio record getting played...it's huuuuge.