breaking i new monitors?

- ask away
vviizzoonn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

breaking i new monitors?

Post by vviizzoonn »

i just bought a brand new pair of mackie 824s and was curious if i should be breaking these in at all (playing them at a constant volume for 24 hours)? or is this just a myth that i should be doing this with new monitors?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

as far as i know it is just a myth...
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

more than a myth this is plain bullshit dude
boxes are not cars
the do not need to roll somo KM before the engine is fine... !
you will easily anyway end up doing 12+ hours session like everyone of us
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

i had a doubt because there are some acoustic instruments like double bass who need to be played to achieve a good sound...
nfty
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nfty »

Guys! Be careful with you new monitors. The manual of my Dynaudio speakers clearly states:
Running In
The drivers of you BM6A must be run in before optimum performance is achieved. Avoid using the system at high levels for the first 24 hours of operation. Full run in is usually achieved after about one week of nomal operation.
I have been told it is best to start at low levels and slowly increasing the volume during run in and playing different styles of music.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

strange.... I neer had thought that. I learned something new today.
On the manual of my ADAM P33 there is no mention about that, I guess it depends on how the boxer are made.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

I know this old boy whos a genius when it comes to sound/physics and he says that good quality cables need broken in the same way... im talking about those £100 per metre kind but in may be the same for budgets too.
nfty
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nfty »

sorgenkind wrote:On the manual of my ADAM P33 there is no mention about that, I guess it depends on how the boxer are made.
I looked at Mackie and Genelec manuals and neither of them mentions breaking-in.

So either it's only Dynaudios that need to be broken-in or it really doesn't matter that much. :roll:

Anyways, handling your expensive gear with care is the best you can do. It definitely won't hurt.
S wrote:I know this old boy whos a genius when it comes to sound/physics and he says that good quality cables need broken in the same way... im talking about those £100 per metre kind but in may be the same for budgets too.
Can you ask him for a technical explanation a non-physicist might understand?