ableton live dj'ing issue

- ask away
underl_ne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

ableton live dj'ing issue

Post by underl_ne »

hi...

i was playing on saturday and my computer started fine...

40mins in, i was getting glitches and breaks in sound, 60mins in and even one track playing was a tough call.

i havent had this problem before - i use a sony vaio with 1gig ram and a high processor, so it has the ability.

i just did a disk defragment... and think my xp is pretty much set up for good audio playback, rather than looking pretty... i have searched online and done a few things to hopefully help.

I realised that my computer was on minimal power managment, even tho plugged in... could this have affected me?

I also pushed the levels into the red a few times... could this have been a prob too... that eventually built up to effect playback?

I used to run an asio driver and changed it to direct x, i found it better at home... but maybe i should change it back?

I have a tascam 122 soundcard.

anyone have tips on configuring my drivers, settings and soundcard so this sh!t doesnt happen again?

thanks

d
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: ableton live dj'ing issue

Post by digitalbunny »

underl_ne wrote:hi...

i was playing on saturday and my computer started fine...

40mins in, i was getting glitches and breaks in sound, 60mins in and even one track playing was a tough call.

i havent had this problem before - i use a sony vaio with 1gig ram and a high processor, so it has the ability.

i just did a disk defragment... and think my xp is pretty much set up for good audio playback, rather than looking pretty... i have searched online and done a few things to hopefully help.

I realised that my computer was on minimal power managment, even tho plugged in... could this have affected me?

I also pushed the levels into the red a few times... could this have been a prob too... that eventually built up to effect playback?

I used to run an asio driver and changed it to direct x, i found it better at home... but maybe i should change it back?

I have a tascam 122 soundcard.

anyone have tips on configuring my drivers, settings and soundcard so this sht doesnt happen again?

thanks

d
Definately piss the directx driver off and stay with ASIO. ASIO has much less latency and is more reliable, so this could have been your issue.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ableton live dj'ing issue

Post by hydrogen »

underl_ne wrote: I realised that my computer was on minimal power managment, even tho plugged in... could this have affected me?
So you saying that you were using as much power as you could? or it was on some low power setting? You'll want the power setting that gives you the most processor, speed, etc.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
underl_ne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

power

Post by underl_ne »

have changed back to asio... just trying to work out how to set the latency now.... any tips?

yeah, i realised the laptop was on minimal power management... even though its plugged in, does it still go by those settings? Its now on max power setting.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

answer: get rid of windows machine. buy mac. problem solved.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Measax wrote:answer: get rid of windows machine. buy mac. problem solved.
DITTO 8)
relative q
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by relative q »

Measax wrote:answer: get rid of windows machine. buy mac. problem solved.
That answer is so terribly helpful... :roll: I have a Windows machine and it runs Ableton Live perfectly in live settings.

The power management settings could be a big factor. What kind of processor is in this laptop? I know my Pentium M chokes on Live when it's set to low-power settings, mostly because it's only running at half the speed. In Windows, if you change the power settings to "Always On" in Control Panel, it forces SpeedStep to run at full clockspeed all the time. That may help you out.
i require more bass.

blingin rims at reasonable prices: netlabel reviews and other dumb sh!t
relative q web presence
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

Definitely run an ASIO driver, if you don't have one that comes with your soundcard use this:

ASIO driver

Since your just djing, I'm not sure you should really have to mess with any of the latency settings in ableton, just run your machine with the settings that are automatically configured with you select your driver.

Do make sure not to have any power saving options on, I know on my viao, when I have any power saving options turned on it dramatically changes how the computer performs when running ableton.

How many different song files do you have in your set? I've noticed when you have a ton of files, that sometimes you'll get a little pause or choke when you trigger a song for the first time (anyone: does this have to do with how much memory ableton is using to store the songs?). One little trick I use it to click on the clip before you trigger it, in essence you are letting you computer know that your about to be playing that track (I don't know if it really helps or not, but it seems to).