Regarding REAL mixing

- open
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Regarding REAL mixing

Post by subtropical »

I had just realized that one of the most amazing aspects of mixing live: as in 2 decks or two CD players etc....

...is that part of the mystique and wonder of this act, at least for me, is the fact that AT ANY MOMENT, the records or CDs- COULD slip out of time...

....that's exciting! You have this massive club heaving to the beat and it's SO dangerous in a way...riding this uncertainty...there is some magic in that...and this is I guess a reason why traditional mixing will always appeal to me personally...with laptops and live acts and such...these possibilities are controlled (or at least can be) and thus, they are a different kind of experience...very great in themselves no doubt. But I have just realized the importance of the UKNOWN...the sound of 2 kick drums clumping up on each other tightly...the quick fix of a DJ who hears and responds to a tiny slip...ahh the precision...does anyone agree or disagree with this element being an important part of the whole thing?
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

the sound of 2 kick drums clumping up on each other tightly
:D
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

the beats could slip or skip, but a laptop could freeze up and crash. you are also missing the point that automated beat matching is not the main goal of laptop mixing.
freeeeeee
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

thom wrote:
Hey, is it you with that nice LP on Archipel?! I purchased a few cuts off that last week...lovely chill tech music...with a subtle funk infusion...
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

subtropical wrote:
thom wrote:
Hey, is it you with that nice LP on Archipel?! I purchased a few cuts off that last week...lovely chill tech music...with a subtle funk infusion...
you got to love a good bit of 'subtle funk infusion'
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

subtropical wrote:
thom wrote:
Hey, is it you with that nice LP on Archipel?! I purchased a few cuts off that last week...lovely chill tech music...with a subtle funk infusion...[
/quote]

nope!
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

i agree that there is something way more exciting about vinyl mixing and what you are describing but think the exciting part comes from the next to perfect beat matching. when you hear a dj bring a track in it is exciting. the mix is very energetic. i think it is caused by the records being just close but not perfectly matched. the ever so slightly off mix gives it such life. computer matched beats do not have the same energy at all in my opinion. makes things boring. ahhh opinions.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

but i don't know what you mean by REAL mixing. i am pretty sure that any way you can mix to sounds together would be real mixing. actually i do know what you mean. i am pointing it out because it sounds elitist.