ll Magda Interview @ Housefloor.de ll

- open
lostinmusiq
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

ll Magda Interview @ Housefloor.de ll

Post by lostinmusiq »

i can not open a thread at the interview section so post it here ...

housefloor.de: your new compilation “she’s a dancing machine” is out right now. are you a dancing machine or what’s the meaning of the title?

magda: haha - no it's not supposed to be me who is the dancing machine. "she's a dancing machine" is a title of an old jackson five song. it's a fun disco song and reminds me of small electro robots from the early 80's dancing around. it just seemed to fit with the idea for the complilation because i wanted to use some old fun stuff like that in the mix.

housefloor.de: in the 90s you also played electro and house music. in 1999 you completely turned to minimal techno. why? has there been a crucial experience?

magda: i don't think i completely turned to more minimal stuff. i still play a lot of old chicago and electro but around 1999 i discovered a lot more german music. i was always into real minimal stuff like studio one, basic channel, chain reaction, sahko and then i discovered
labels like playhouse/ klang, perlon, background etc. it was a new fresh sound to my ears and it excited me. also, around that time i was a little jaded with all the politics and i decided to do something that would make me happy. so i made a promo mix called "fact and friction". i didn't know if anyone would like it or throw it in the garbage but i didn't care because its the first mix i did for me and not for the promoters to book me.

housefloor.de: you originally come from poland and moved to the us when you were 9, now you live in berlin. where do you feel is your home?

magda: berlin is my home now. i have been there for three years and i love it. i will stay there for a while. it's a good feeling to come home from the weekend to your own comfortable space.

housefloor.de: after having experienced a couple of partys in berlin a few years ago you have decided to move to berlin. why did you do that and how has it changed your life?

magda: i was doing a small night in new york and i invited guys like zip, sammy dee, dan bell, and theo parrish to play. in return, zip invited me to berlin to play at the old panorama bar for a perlon/playhouse night which was a dream for me. i was already excited but i had no
idea how different the electronic scene was. in new york, everything ended at 4am and in berlin we didn't even go to the club until 5am!
there was so much time and the peak hours were in the morning and each dj got to play about 4 hours. people were friendly and actually dancing. the bouncers were nice and didn't yell at everyone to "get the fck out of the club" and the club stayed open late, very late. i knew then that this was the place for me.

housefloor.de: you belong to the minus-family around richie hawtin. how have you become part of it?

magda: i met rich in 1998 through friends and we got along well. then i was living in canada for two years with marc houle and the minus office was around the corner so i started helping out when they needed me. at the same time i had a weekly night at rich's tiny club called "13 below". my first opening gig for minus was on new year's eve 2000 in detroit and after that i began playing with rich more consistently.

housefloor.de: together with troy pierce you have found the label underline. why did you decide to do so and what’s the idea behind it?

magda: it's not our label ;) wrong information. we helped our friends david and barney with the label in the beginning before we went exclusive with minus.

housefloor.de: what do you think, has it been harder for you to win recognition and become famous in the dj-scene than for your male colleagues or has it actually been easier for you as you are a woman?

magda: it has been easier to get bookings in the past but a lot harder to be taken seriously.

housefloor.de: you have said about yourself that you are a restless person. what do you do to make yourself relax when you need to?

magda: i don't think i am restless. when did i say that? perhaps it was in another context. its important to be relaxed and enjoy life. of course things get stressful, especially when i miss flights and lose things but i need to have a good balance. it makes me happy to have the chance to travel and meet people. life is good at the moment and when i stop appreciating
all the little things then its time to worry.

housefloor.de: what can we expect from you in the near future and what are your long-term aims in life?

magda: hopefully a lot more music and soon ;) i want to keep learning about technology and sound engineering because in the future i am sure
we will be able to hear music in a new incredible way.
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

Thank you!
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

great post!

"i want to keep learning about technology and sound engineering because in the future i am sure
"

now why cant i stop thinking that Richie is working on something very nasty and she knows it. :twisted: :D
mech84
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mech84 »

"she's a dancing machine" is also a lyric used by Troy Pierce on the track "louderbach" on the "The Master of Slack!" ep for textone netlabel.
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

New Guy wrote:because in the future i am sure
"
http://www.rotarywoofer.com/index.htm

i cant wait till we hear/feel things things in clubs.

and yes, nice interview. short but sweet.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

5 HZ, isnt that the Brown Hertz ?! the one that makes you sh!t? :lol:
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

right. that's the incredible new way to hear music :D

actually, i dont think there's any truth to that brown note theory.
however, it would be funny if you could make everyone in a club crap at the same time.

the bathroom lines would be a bitch. lol
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

532nm wrote:right. that's the incredible new way to hear music :D

actually, i dont think there's any truth to that brown note theory.
however, it would be funny if you could make everyone in a club crap at the same time.

the bathroom lines would be a bitch. lol
Everyones gonna sh!t theyr pants when theyll hear my new track! :lol:

hey dj! Drop the BASS!