Live act + Laptop DJ : Where are my rights ?

- ask away
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Live act + Laptop DJ : Where are my rights ?

Post by Storlon »

Im starting to enjoy a mixture of live + Lap djing, like taking 8 bars of a song add some of my loops then going back to another 8 bars of another song, add fx ...going live with my song and then back with some other tracks...

My question is : it's ok at home, but where am i in front of the law ? am'i allowed to play it in public ? where is the frontier between live an dj ? am'i sampling ? or djing ?

A bit lost here, any idea ?

:shock:
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

i think that unless you are playing unpaid/illegaly downloaded tracks you can mash them up like you want, but it may be a bit of a grey area of the law.
Copyright laws needs an update anyway, things are changing
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

ah dj plays other peoples records. why should you not be allwowed to play 8 bar loops of those records.

as long as you don't take credit for those 8 bar loops, imo it's all good.
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

There is no difference between taking a record and looping a part from in a loop grabber and doing the same thing you are doing... like the person above me said as long as you aint making it part of your song and selling it...
mattb-m
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattb-m »

all music venues should have paid for a PRS license, this gives them the right to play recorded music to the public. all countries have some kind of equivalent of this.

although I doubt it's ever calculated for clubs, the PRS calcuate how many times a song will be played across the country, if the writer of the track has registered it with PRS and paid their membership, they will then receive a small amount of royalties from PRS. this only really comes into effect when stuff is played on the radio/at big gigs etc.
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i978 »

STOP WORRYING ABOUT STUPIDNESS AND JUST PLAY THE DAMN TUNES!!!!!

Concern yourself with music, not business.

I'm so sick of reading bullshit about copyright and "intellectual property". People use cracked software, sample indiscriminately and blatantly rip off ideas. GET OVER IT. If whatever is produced sounds good then - GREAT - so be it. Lets have less moral indignation about it.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

You can beat the fck out of whatever you want so long as you're not selling it as your own. (or giving away free calling it "your music")

The end.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

sorgenkind wrote:i think that unless you are playing unpaid/illegaly downloaded tracks you can mash them up like you want, but it may be a bit of a grey area of the law.
Copyright laws needs an update anyway, things are changing
hehe. i cant take this seriously with that avatar pumping away on the right.