isnt it totally whack?

- open
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

isnt it totally whack?

Post by jay haze »

isnt it totally whack that people are passing off ableton live dj-sets as live sets?

isnt it totally whack that dudes are showing up in club with their notebooks and playing tracks they made in the studio ? and doing it as live--?

isnt it totally whack that these dudes are the ones getting the spotlight of the night, while just about everyone else playing is working harder then they are? (dj-s and people doing real live sets)

isnt it whack that this has become and accepted form of public performance?

isnt it whack that these guys get paid more to do this?

isnt it totally whack that there is no education of this, or awareness in the scene for this ?

isnt it totally whack, that if people keep accepting this as a live performance the whole scene is gonna be full of a bunch of nickel and dimers who dont take chances- and dont have to take chances?

isnt it totally whack that noone else is talking about this?

me personally, i am sick of it- and i feel this scene needs an enema in those regards.

:roll: :P :roll:

to the people who are doing these "fake" live-sets stop being soo lazy and scared- it will benefit you more in the long run to take chances.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: isnt it totally whack?

Post by skept »

jay haze wrote:isnt it totally whack that people are passing off ableton live dj-sets as live sets?
yes!
jay haze wrote:isnt it totally whack that dudes are showing up in club with their notebooks and playing tracks they made in the studio ? and doing it as live--?
hrm.... not sure.
jay haze wrote:isnt it whack that this has become and accepted form of public performance?
i guess but when you consider most of the fans (atleast in the us) don't even know when a dj is trainwrecking then it shouldn't be so shocking.
jay haze wrote:isnt it whack that these guys get paid more to do this?
if so then yes.
jay haze wrote:isnt it totally whack that noone else is talking about this?
they are.
jay haze wrote:to the people who are doing these "fake" live-sets stop being soo lazy and scared- it will benefit you more in the long run to take chances.
so are you saying you would expect to see more hardware in a performance and less notebooks?

i think a lot of the people you speak of not only perform solely with live but also produce solely with live. with that in mind there would not be much more they could add to their perfomance.

i agree that it is boring as hell to watch someone JUST tinker with a laptop. i would much rather see some 909s, sampler and a killer synth or two. IF that is what you are talking about.

so what would you like to see instead?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i got another question for you jay. what can you/we do to prevent that? while hundreds of people will beat leaves of the problem with their bats, one will stand out to cut the root. i presonally stand for what you said about the fact that some record their live sets at home, then present them as live recordings. on the other hand, performing with ableton has it's own advantages as much as it takes the soul out of what you give in as you play with vinyl or cd. another thing which also knows to bring me down is that hard working people usualy need to cross a loooong path to achieve what persona X or Y did in a few months just because he/she has good connections. so many crap music gets released and i'm thinking what is it that they manage to put so many vinyls in a year period.
one other thing...noone will talk about that because they all want to benefit from them when the time comes. :roll:

i really want to see more of this on stage cuz most dj's just stand there like it's raining on them. wtf guys, move while you spin, it's not a funeral it's a freekin' party. i know you all want to look ubercoolische while you are making a 3 minute mix with your brand new second hand records, but still, i didn't pay to watch a plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlpB6V-yYs

later.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
minidine
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minidine »

plaster wrote:
i really want to see more of this on stage cuz most dj's just stand there like it's raining on them. wtf guys, move while you spin, it's not a funeral it's a freekin' party. i know you all want to look ubercoolische while you are making a 3 minute mix with your brand new second hand records, but still, i didn't pay to watch a plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlpB6V-yYs

later.
WOOOOOORD!!! :D :D It was time, that someone talk about it!! But I'm not a DJ so I can't know how much concentration is needful to play...but a litte smile should be with... :wink:

To the fake live set djs....I can understand, that djs who make serious live sets are angry about that. but when I am on the dancefloor, I can't see if they fake... i wouldnt see it if i stand next to them as well. so what can i do? difficult....
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

plaster wrote:most dj's just stand there like it's raining on them. wtf guys, move while you spin, it's not a funeral it's a freekin' party. i know you all want to look ubercoolische while you are making a 3 minute mix with your brand new second hand records, but still, i didn't pay to watch a plant.
yeah def true. so this says a lot about the ableton complaints. if a dj can suck and be boring or a dj can be great while still using the same 1200s is it the tool that is the problem or the performers?

also you guys keep saying no one talks about ableton dj sets being whack but i get sick of talking/hearing about because people and internet geeks argue about it SO MUCH. so either i am missing something about what you mean or maybe you are missing some (pointless?) internet/club banter.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

its a monster with many heads......each has its own pros and cons

for me...im going way of the Serato

i tried Ableton for a bit to do a dj set with edits and whatever...and its boring as fck....yes u can do weirder effects and more layering combos....but why should you have to...if u respect and like the the specific song youre playing...why would u do that... djs before you had 2 decks and a plain jane mixer and they rocked harder than u ever could with your perfect mixes..i want to know theres a human behind the decks..i want to hear the inconsistancies...i want to hear the chance that didnt quite make it...but fck it...its a party

umm
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

minimalicious_nadine wrote:that djs who make serious live sets are angry about that.
??? i believe they are talking about performers who make serious live p.a.s not djs and mixes. correct me if i am wrong.

what is a dj live set? that should be the name for what people who dj with live do.
Aleksi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aleksi »

How common is it that people are faking live set? Who does it?