Roland Mc-909

- ask away
DrFunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Roland Mc-909

Post by DrFunk »

Are there some people who use a mc-909 for producing or on stage? I want to buy one, but first I wanna hear some reviews, positive or negative...
Electribe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Electribe »

please do forget about that bad box. if you seriously want to produce music
and arrange tracks, save the money and get a good software (eg reason) and an external controller.
DrFunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DrFunk »

I already have lots of good software (ableton/reason/FL/Logic/Cubase etc), an external controller (uc-16), mixer and instruments (vst and bass/guitar)....and made some cool stuff with it. But I want to work more with my fingers, and less with a mouse and software. Besides that, I thought the mc-909 is a great instrument to have for gigs...I can jamm for hours with stuff like this...but maybe you are right and I'm stupid
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

DrFunk wrote:I'm stupid
i doubt that.

but if it works for you who cares what others think. i will say that i have always perceived the groovebox series to but slightly toyish but as i said who cares what i think. if it works for you that is all that matters.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

well you could go the reason route (a lot of people use it) but not too many people use the mc 909 or hardware in general for live performance or in studio these days. why not be different. the mc 909 holds its value well (it is roland's hardware!) so you could get it and worse come to worse you sell it and lose maybe 50 or 100 bucks. Thats like renting gear so what do you really have to loose. Or you could take advantage of some of the return policies that music stores allow you. test it see if its something you could get into. playing with hardware is loads of fun. Most people say that hardware sounds better or is a least easier to get that warm sound everyone talks about. its good to do the research but sometimes you need to see for yourself. I would give it a go. But thats just my opinion.
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

DrFunk wrote:I'm stupid
yeah, we read the first post. the one about you wanting an mc-909...
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I like my MC-303 in the studio, but it kind of sucks live. There isn't a whole lot of pattern memory. I like the sounds that Roland puts on the Groove Boxes. :D

You don't need a computer to do a good live show.

I usually just bring two Dr. Rhythms and hook them into the DJ mixer.
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

Great effects and good sound. Roland have great effects in general. Diffrent flow of working. You can really get diffrent sounds out of it.

Best advice is to get a demo of it in some store.

:D :D For the trainspotter:

Go to Omar S myspace page to find, Omar working on the 909. :D :D