I need a Midi/Usb controller for Live but which one?

- ask away
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I need a Midi/Usb controller for Live but which one?

Post by jspr »

I have a simple question.

I would like to have some advice for buying a Midi/Usb controller for dj'ing with Live 5.

I'm a Final Scratch (in combination with Traktor DJ Studio 2.6) DJ myself, but I want to do some mixing with Live too.

Current gear list:

Xone 92 mixer
M-audio Firewire 410
Powerbook 15"
Faderfox Dj1
Cycloops loop player
Final Scratch 2.0 with Traktor DJ Studio 2.6
Behringer Virtualizer 19" rack unit as a delay

I want to setup a 4 channel DJ set trough my Xone, so I can control all the EQ and Volume controls on my Xone mixer like I normal do with Final Scratch.
The thing is that I need a good control surface to control all clips and effects. The Faderfox is awesome in Traktor and some things in Live, but I need a "bigger" one.

I would love to buy the Xone 3D, but it's too early to buy it, and I have already halfway the gear to do the same trick.

I was thinking of the following Midi/Usb controllers:

M-audio Finger trigger (but I need some endless rotery's for scrolling etc.)
M-audio Evolution UC33 (I don't need those faders and roterys because I use my Xone for that.)
Behringer BCR2000 (good one, but too big and I don't need that many rotery's)

But maybe there are other options justin the middle?

Who can help me on this one??
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

maybe this one......but it's €500-€600 :(
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

very mnml ,)
Danta
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Danta »

maybe faderfox controllers?
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: I need a Midi/Usb controller for Live but which one?

Post by jspr »

kiwi wrote:Faderfox Dj1

The Faderfox is awesome in Traktor and some things in Live, but I need a "bigger" one.
I already have a Micromodul DJ1, but I need more butons, rotery's, endless rotery's en some faders to do the trick good.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

i saw it...looks great!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i have a BCR2000, and a Doepfer pocket control, so i can give you my thoughts on those if its any help.

i use the BCR2000 with ableton when i play out at small gigs where theres no room or its not worth me taking more hardware with me.
the size doesnt bother me, (its not that big) infact i like the fact theres plenty of room to get my fingers amongst the knobs, and the rotary enconders light up which is awesome in a dark DJ booth. it's also dirt cheap !!
the only negative aspect is that i find theres a slight sluggishness to the response, i find myself anticipating my tweaks in advance slightly, but its only marginal.
the Doepfer is an altogether more solid and compact controller, and if you dont need many knobs maybe it would work for you. the response feels more realtime, but i sometimes find myself knocking other knobs while i'm tweaking, its so small.
if youre on a budget, the BCR is cheap and cheerful, and to be honest i'll bet you'll be glad of those extra knobs and buttons as your set up grows.
i use every knob and button on that box, and i'm only using ableton to DJ my own tunes really, i'm not using any soft synths or anything, but ive got all the EQ's and effects on knobs, and if i'm mixing 4 tunes at once, thats all the knobs used up.
i hope thats some help mate,
peace
steevio

http://www.mindtours.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/steevio
http://www.myspace.com/mindtours