TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

- ask away
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

juanm2t wrote:magda does ;)
I've seen her stuff 1 when she played recently...

not sure i believe that...
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

livecollective wrote:
JasonNeumeyer wrote:
suli.belarto wrote:
JasonNeumeyer wrote: Last party I played some guy with a laptop played a decent set with a pioneer EFX500 as a quote “midi-device” to control virtual DJ. However when I looked the midi wasn’t connected and only one deck was playing with a 78 minute track. HMMMM….needless to say he didn’t get paid.
may I ask why ? was said Dj not using technology to his advantage, I mean his set was decent ? I think 78 minute tracks are the way forward. :?
What I meant by this is that the DJ kept using the EFX like a midi-controller for mixing in VDJ. Basically he was acting like a DJ by turning knobs and such, he was faking the set. The music was a prerecorded set he was playing in VDJ. This is one aspect of digital DJ'ing that's causing so much grief from the younger DJ's when I play out.

I'm about ready to buy a face ripping chimp and teach it to beat match two tracks just to prove a point :lol:
Let me see if i am getting your clusterfuck of hypocracy right... you support using advancements in dj technology, but you think that some advancements are more "legit" (lack of a better word) than others?
well, "dj-s" who play their pre-made Live arrangements are not so awesome are they now?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I went over to this guys place a while back and he showed me his Ableton setup. He primarily uses it for producing but he showed me how it works for DJing too and to be honest it seems like it would be... unfun to DJ with. All that warping you have to do seems like a pain in ass and the interface doesn't really strike me as a set up that would lend itself well to DJing. All that extra prep of warping tracks would be enough to scare me away. Sounds time consuming.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

it can be, most of the time 2/3 warp markers are enough for a track
I much prefer ableton for DJing than traktor, I have to say..
QuarkZ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by QuarkZ »

Interesting discussion...

I used turntables before, played in free parties, then switched to fruityloops and after ableton live. Now i use traktor with beatmatching and still Live, i plan also to use both at the same time.

I had that discussion with a guy who were kinda pissed about digital djs and said that it's not real djs.

I agree on some points but disagree on others. I've heard many digital djs and real djs and both sometimes are crappy. For me the point of beatmatching is being able to do stuff u can't normally do with turntables. Sometimes you can, but with extreme difficulties, sometimes you just can't.
For example

I think the good thing about traktor is that you can really create something instead of just spinning tracks of someone else, because manually beatmatching tracks is not really difficult after a while... And often the difference between a good and a bad set is the tracks themselves!
Many djs before were used to write the BPM directly on the vinyls, turntables came, also, with BPM recognition, and even if it wasn't perfect it helped, but still many djs were pissed about that.
I started to make Lives (fruityloops and ableton music) because i thought it was annoying to spend time in shops looking for good tracks. You can know how to spin two vinyls, if your tracks are bad, it's dead.

Have you ever seen Carl Cox spinning? He doesn't spend many time moving the pitch on the tables, because he knows his tracks. So we could say "well, spinning tracks you know isn't really a challenge, let's give every djs the same set and see what they can do with it"
It's like trying to compare a F1 driver who doesn't drive the same car than others. Of course he still needs to have skills, but hey, give a crappy car to schumacher (or whatever you write his name ^^) and i don't think he'd finish first everytime.

So I just think no matter if you use the beatmatching on traktor as long as you use that technology to make something different. I'm pretty pissed about digital djs who just badly mix two tracks on traktor and don't even "play" with them. A friend said they are synths djs cause they mix two tracks only when there is no beats. That was funny but so true, and so boring to hear.

Now with traktor, i feel free. I can spin kickass tracks i couldn't have found in vinyls. I can use tracks to create something new, i kinda make Lives with traktor and i make something new everytime, I'm not stuck playing a track.
Like another guy here said earlier "I like to play the music the guy wanted to do and not loop 4 beats". Ok... And so where is the fun? Playing music of someone else is easy.

Well finally i wanted to say, no matter what u use, if you create something, but for sure just spinning tracks with auto beatmatching is kinda sad...