Too much music?

- open
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Too much music?

Post by smith »

gillsans wrote:Do you think you can listen to too much music?

And how much is enough?

Thoughts?
quality of listening or quantity?

By quality I mean closeness of listening.. I mean a moment of real attention is worth hours of passive listening. Every now and then a new detail jumps out of a song I've listened to for a few years and it always catches me off guard and makes me smile.

,g
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I could listen to my favorite music for a long time. A very long time, over and over again. It would not be too much for me. Well, it hasn't yet anyhow ;)

However, if I listened to electronic music all the time instead, I'd go absolutely insane. Wouldn't be able to take it.

I need muh non-electronic music.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Jesse Somfay wrote:I could listen to my favorite music for a long time. A very long time, over and over again. It would not be too much for me. Well, it hasn't yet anyhow ;)

However, if I listened to electronic music all the time instead, I'd go absolutely insane. Wouldn't be able to take it.

I need muh non-electronic music.
Hey Jesse - what have you been listening to?

Ive really been enjoying Brian Jonestown Massacre. Also, I cant go anywhere without Fugazi.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Usually it's a heavy dose of Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, Do Make Say Think, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Moose, Revolver, Mogwai, Red Sparowes, A Northern Chorus, Amusement Parks on Fire, The Cure, Cocteau Twins...that sort of stuff...and some occassional bursts of just really rocking out to stuff like Death From Above 1979, Queens of the Stone Age, Bloc Party, Gang of Four...

There's quite a bit of music I love, but these would be some of my favorites for sure :)
Music Junkie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Music Junkie »

You can never listen to too much music. But I do agree there is too much music released, that is where the problem lies. For example when I first started listening to minimal I downloaded almost every thinnner and epsilon lab release. to this day I still do now know song titles or artists but I know what songs I like by ear. I would put like 10-12 releases on a data cd and play it in my car on the way to work on the way home to the grocery store, etc etc. The problem is that for some reason my cd player does not pickup all the information for each song and when I burn the cd the program I use mixes up the songs for some reason.

Back to the point no you can't listen to too much music but you can listen to too much of the same kind.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Hearing damage occurs as part of a ratio, duration vs volume.

In thoery, if you listened to music ALL THE TIME at extremely quiet levels, you are still committing crime to your ears..

We're all the doomed hearing generation... we are going to be the worst old people when we all get old. Saying "WHAT!?" back and forth while kids point and laugh
RussC
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by RussC »

but im figuring that hopefully by the time we get old,, technology has advanced so much that we will just be able to get ear replacements :) lol
so wank on the volume knobs, its all gravy,,
angelica
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by angelica »

nah... dont think i can ever get enough of music. not in the long run.

of course, there is the issue of tinnitus, so sometimes i simply can´t listen to music. but then i still want too... terrible. and sometimes I have periods when I listen through hundreds of songs in a short period of time, looking for that particular something, but thats more a feeling of frustration.

sometimes I wonder how it will be in say 50 years, when we are all old and retired. will we sit at the old age-home and listen to strange electronic noise? I really hope so.
minimalicious