Regarding REAL mixing

- open
audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

this is why I became a DJ... :lol:

Just being in front of a crowd and knowing that you're DOING it...finding your zone...and ROCKING IT......well, that's just better than any drug in the world :wink:
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

Der geile Ami wrote:the beats could slip or skip, but a laptop could freeze up and crash. you are also missing the point that automated beat matching is not the main goal of laptop mixing.

dude, you are the master of the obvious...no sh!t :lol:
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

thom wrote:
subtropical wrote:
thom wrote:
Hey, is it you with that nice LP on Archipel?! I purchased a few cuts off that last week...lovely chill tech music...with a subtle funk infusion...[
/quote]

nope!
oops different Tom, different spelling, my bad!
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

subtropical wrote:dude, you are the master of the obvious...no sht :lol:
why did you start this thread?

I dont find it is hte near perfection of blended beats that sets off hte energy. If that were the case, then live acts and the tracks themselves wouldnt have any bounce.
freeeeeee
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

Der geile Ami wrote:
subtropical wrote:dude, you are the master of the obvious...no sht :lol:
why did you start this thread?

I dont find it is hte near perfection of blended beats that sets off hte energy. If that were the case, then live acts and the tracks themselves wouldnt have any bounce.
The first post clearly describes the intention of the thread, without a shred of a doubt you should be able to respond relevently. It surely wasn't so you could explain the uses of ableton live etc... :lol:
menos160
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by menos160 »

Der geile Ami wrote: If that were the case, then live acts and the tracks themselves wouldnt have any bounce.
that is the right word.
so live acts will be transformed into a "mechanical" thing
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I see where this is coming from...I do all my mixes exclusively the old-fashioned way with vinyl - but I don't have ableton or any of the experience with using that. I'm not passing any value judgement on the use of it...my main desire is that whatever medium is used is done so creatively and requiring on the spot artistic skill (if in a performance).

That said, I really do like hearing well-mixes vinyl/cd over most ableton sets, if I'm just looking to hear a good club mix - and it does have something to do with those beats tightly clumping together. Many ableton sets are so "perfect" that to me, there is something often missing in the transition. I like being able to hear where the next track comes in and where the bassline and beat does that little "kick" as you turn the tide at just the right spot into the next track. When it's on ableton, things are oftentimes so perfectly smoothed out that it's not there...it's literally "perfect" - and yet not quite so at the same time.

I dunno. maybe I'm crazy.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Well my two cents on this old topic (how many times do we need to get into the old school mixing vs mp3 or wtf mixing?)

I saw an old school dj on saturday: it sucked like hell, nervermind the beatmatching or whatever, it certainly was the uglyiest two hours I've spend this year.
I also saw some new school dj sometimes ago, and it sucked like hell too.

My point is: whether you use vinyls or files, the technique or the medium doesn't mean a sh!t. At the end it's the tracks you're playing who will set the night on fire or turn it into audio-torture.

And track selection isn't something that's automatically to find in vynils or files.