ableton live djs

- ask away
alland
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alland »

[quote="Ronny Pries]alland, pity you don't really follow the discussion as it goes or simply disregard valuable points beeing made here.[/quote]

yeah i read back ... but i just wanted to give my opinion on things.
i was going to go into my thoughts on the human element and mistakes n all that, but decided to keep it short(er).

but i'm pretty dumb and have little regard for anything.
except gin.
i like gin.

oh... and thai food.

;-)

a.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

alland wrote:yeah i read back ... but i just wanted to give my opinion on things. i was going to go into my thoughts on the human element and mistakes n all that, but decided to keep it short(er).

but i'm pretty dumb and have little regard for anything.
except gin.
i like gin.

oh... and thai food.

;-)

a.
gin & thai food - can't be that dumb ;)
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

Dear Ronny Pries,

i am terriblly sorry if i insulted you in any way, but if you think im addressing anyone here directly, you must be up out your mind. instead, i am addressing the typical 'Joe Shmuck' who just learned to warp tracks and voila - look at me. this dont need to be anyone on the board.
rock beyond believe
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

d-rokc wrote:Dear Ronny Pries,

i am terriblly sorry if i insulted you in any way, but if you think im addressing anyone here directly, you must be up out your mind. instead, i am addressing the typical 'Joe Shmuck' who just learned to warp tracks and voila - look at me. this dont need to be anyone on the board.
yes, that's the problem on this board. people feel insulted personally when you are just pointing out facts (not people) and possible cases.

sorry for the off-topic.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

d-rokc wrote:what u call 'mere track playback' son, is becoming something of a lost art and some ppl are pretty damn good at it. its what a DJ does. if you want to do more, its not DJ-ing anymore, it is a live performance.

oh i see - you dont have enough quality tracks produced by yourself so that you can call it a live act. instead, you wanna do a live act with someone else's tracks, and you wannna call it 'advanced dj-ing' or whatever. :shock: its a free world :lol:
thanks pops, but i advocate mixing it up further. why do you makes things so black or white, live or dj - why not do both? its cool to hear a good live act, but its also cool to hear how said performer interprets the works of others within the same context. do you ride in cars or horse carriages?
freeeeeee
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

so if i sum it up it just comes down to:
a dj has to know how to beatmach or he ain´t a dj.
seems like the discussion is all about that. or have i understood something wrong?

1) if the dj uses tools with he doesn´t have to beatmatch anymore but still got to have musical taste and knowledge and feeling for playing appropiate track after another to build up suspense (lost art?) he still ain´t a dj!
2) if he beatmatches but uses some dj sampler or fx or 3 decks or cd he still is a dj!
3) if he uses afformentioned tools combined in one program but he doesn´t have to beatmach anymore he still ain´t a dj but some castrated liveact!

ok are these the 3 laws of the dj police?
@ganik: better get a lawyer soon!
techno made me do it
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by d-rokc »

hey there Der Geile Ami, first of all im glad ur not insulted by my words, as your lawyer Ronny Pries claimed :wink: good that at least someone understands my sense of humor.

to the topic - much as i dont want to, u guys really make me go deeper here. listen, ableton live is not the problem, its the way some ppl use it. should i be more correct - the way some ppl miss-use it.

what if i released a track, and then some jerk loads it as mp3 in live and applies heavy modulation to whatever parameters he decides, just because he has the abillity to do so (its all about possibilities these days huh?). i mean this guy mangles my track overtaste, and i (as the original creator) do not like that. wheres my rights then, im asking?

imagine this: i own a gallery, and you are a painter. you draw this beautiful painting and give it to me (along with other painters) because im organizing an exhibition in my gallery. the competition between gallery owners is rather big so, to be ahead of my colleagues, i decide not only to expose the artists' pictures, but also draw myself on them too! HUH??? no, dont even try to tell me its not the same, cuz it is.

im not making things black & white, not at all. there is a borderline tho. its slim and some of you might not see it. carefully.

peace,
d.
rock beyond believe
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

d-rokc wrote:good that at least someone understands my sense of humor.
i understand your sense of humor too.