TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

- ask away
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

A laptop is perfect in combination with tracks that are quantized to the bone. When you start using tracks without quantization it's over. In one way or another a laptop can't handle these kind of tracks, there's to much (human) life in there.
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

bipedal103 wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Yeh they have brought out a pitch adjustment mod for the 1210, its the future of djing, you don't even have to do anything...
Are you trying to be smart laddy?
Look mr MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE, don't mistake me for a Ableton/lappie MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE fag... ANd leave your idiotic english sarcasm at home, little kiddie. If you want to answer a question answer it, if not go play with your lappie

funny funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:There is something that I keep seeing over and over again when this topic is broached... its old school DJ's getting critical and angry at the thought of people playing music in sync without having to spend time fiddling and struggling around for a minute first. I think digital Djing pisses them off because of the amount of time and effort they have spent developing their skill and the amount of money they have invested in buying all that vinyl. They have some sort of sense of entitlement.

Once a DJ gains some success and has a following he/she becomes a little king in his empire. They like to propagate a negativity towards technology that allows others to achieve a similar status without all the hardship along the way. I use the term hardship loosely here by the way. I have never liked the subcultre of DJ snobery. I once witnessed a gross example of this in a record shop I used to frequent and never spent a dollar there again. I am not saying that all DJs are like that, there are some really cool people but so many think way too much of their DJing.

I don't think Digital Djing is all that its cracked up to be. I have not tried the latest tractor but from what I have seen the beatmatching in these DJing programs is never quite right. Its always a little off and fine tuning still needs to be done. For it to be perfect you would have to fine tune every track in your spare time and that is a lot of work in itself.

It seems strange to me that people who are into "techo," music made by technology and machines are so resistant to new technology. Out of all the worlds muscians you would think that technophiles would be the first to enthusiasticly embrace these new technologies. How much scorn and criticism has techno drawn from traditional musicans because of its technological background?

I find these kinds of pro-vinyl anti-digital DJ's kind of amusing. They are like the gentry when the when the printing press was invented. Ideas, knowledge and education were no longer luxuries of the nobles. I think they feel threatened by it.

I have seen that video of Richie before and I have to say that I really respect his pragmatic attitude. Many years ago I saw him spin on four decks, with fx and a drum machine (assuming 909, idk) and the spent half the time running back and forth between turntables adjusting pitches and swaping records. I can only imagine how happy he was when this technology became availiable.

Personally I would rather see him play on traktor because he would be able to devote more attention to the actual mix. What I am really there for is the music and the mixing... What I want is to hear a quality set not watch some guy sweating his balls off at work. I don't even really like watching the DJ because it makes me feel kind of sycophantic.

What bugs me is the way people get so negative and critical about the whole topic. I like that part of the video when Hawtin wiggles the turntable a bit and says, "Some people think this is cool," then points at his set up and says, "I think this is cool."

I feel the same way.
+1 8) 8)
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

S.D.L wrote:A laptop is perfect in combination with tracks that are quantized to the bone. When you start using tracks without quantization it's over. In one way or another a laptop can't handle these kind of tracks, there's to much (human) life in there.
not true. you have all the controls you can find on decks or tt, and some more... learn to use them all, and you're in...

and this human vs. computer sht is stupid. computer was made by humans for humans using human logic. it's not matrix time yet... computer is as human as sound cut into the vinyl disk is. it's all electronic, and whatsoever, it's all digital now. if you look hard, you will find those little zeros and ones cut into vinyl. :)

it's your duty to make your music communicate humanely with people.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

ArhiteK wrote:
S.D.L wrote:A laptop is perfect in combination with tracks that are quantized to the bone. When you start using tracks without quantization it's over. In one way or another a laptop can't handle these kind of tracks, there's to much (human) life in there.
not true. you have all the controls you can find on decks or tt, and some more..
ok
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:There is something that I keep seeing over and over again when this topic is broached... its old school DJ's getting critical and angry at the thought of people playing music in sync without having to spend time fiddling and struggling around for a minute first. I think digital Djing pisses them off because of the amount of time and effort they have spent developing their skill and the amount of money they have invested in buying all that vinyl. They have some sort of sense of entitlement.

Once a DJ gains some success and has a following he/she becomes a little king in his empire. They like to propagate a negativity towards technology that allows others to achieve a similar status without all the hardship along the way. I use the term hardship loosely here by the way. I have never liked the subcultre of DJ snobery. I once witnessed a gross example of this in a record shop I used to frequent and never spent a dollar there again. I am not saying that all DJs are like that, there are some really cool people but so many think way too much of their DJing.

I don't think Digital Djing is all that its cracked up to be. I have not tried the latest tractor but from what I have seen the beatmatching in these DJing programs is never quite right. Its always a little off and fine tuning still needs to be done. For it to be perfect you would have to fine tune every track in your spare time and that is a lot of work in itself.

It seems strange to me that people who are into "techo," music made by technology and machines are so resistant to new technology. Out of all the worlds muscians you would think that technophiles would be the first to enthusiasticly embrace these new technologies. How much scorn and criticism has techno drawn from traditional musicans because of its technological background?

I find these kinds of pro-vinyl anti-digital DJ's kind of amusing. They are like the gentry when the when the printing press was invented. Ideas, knowledge and education were no longer luxuries of the nobles. I think they feel threatened by it.

I have seen that video of Richie before and I have to say that I really respect his pragmatic attitude. Many years ago I saw him spin on four decks, with fx and a drum machine (assuming 909, idk) and the spent half the time running back and forth between turntables adjusting pitches and swaping records. I can only imagine how happy he was when this technology became availiable.

Personally I would rather see him play on traktor because he would be able to devote more attention to the actual mix. What I am really there for is the music and the mixing... What I want is to hear a quality set not watch some guy sweating his balls off at work. I don't even really like watching the DJ because it makes me feel kind of sycophantic.

What bugs me is the way people get so negative and critical about the whole topic. I like that part of the video when Hawtin wiggles the turntable a bit and says, "Some people think this is cool," then points at his set up and says, "I think this is cool."

I feel the same way.
I agree that us vinyl heads feel negtive; but digital djing has meant you cant stand out on skill alone nowdays, you have to produce tracks, then play a few out sometimes to earn money.

Your reference to Richie and 4 decks; the reason allot (not all) of people went to see him is because of his crazy 4 deck sets (although most of the time he would be plying the same tune on 2 of the decks), people still go for the music but its not the same out in clubland imo with all these shiney laptops everywhere.....

Most non-music-geek people i speak still say to me that laptop gigs are no fun, people want to see vinyl being played, it marketable still and promoters would be nieve to just book people based on track sales alone.

The most important thing though, to me, is sound qaulity; it still makes me laugh every time when i hear the guy on the laptops last track get smashed
by the vinyl guys virgin 180 gramme wax, makes me smile everytime!

Its the way its going, its inevitable, but just keep this in mind; people dont always want some experimental artistic journey through lots of loops being layered on top of each other for 15 mins and then the occasional bass cut, (leave that for your bedroom), people want to go out and hear the music they like listening too, in glorious full length.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

It saddens me to hear some of techno's best DJs, some friends included, mocking the use of Turntables.
Today's techno would not be what it is had vinyl DJs never started mixing tracks. Traktor would not exist. :lol:
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Let's imagine TT's had appeared after computers... would Jeff Mills say : "I've played 25 years with my auto sync, but now you can do it mannually, it's far better?"
This is the same issue in all kind of music with vintage/modern confrontation.

Auto sync is quite new, we should give it some time before we see how far it can take music. And anyway, in a club, you don't have to stare at the dj during his whole set. If a guy makes me dance farting in beer bottles, I don't mind, it's about dancing.

Then as a dj, I feel like all experiences are interesting, try vinyl, cd's, mp3, and then play on what you make the best music with. As others said, beatmatching on 8 turnables a drum machine while playing the trumpet is no use if the dancefloor's empty.