A message from Mad Mike..........

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

case in point was... was many...

I think that was more in reference to the past several years of say perhaps detroit artists vs. others..

the now vs. then .............and you agreed it was better therefore you moved I didn't...

I'll let that slide comment.. what is that about are you the chat room bully... you should play that on sims video game before chatting your might feel better...

anyone of his records could be called innovative.. if you don't understand the work that goes into his production how could you ever make an informed option of his music?

you beat the (Metallica Techno) .... why could I ever suspect you would be opened minded enough to hear or try to understand his music. . . ?

but me and/or many mnml listeners would in fact give your (Metallica Techno) music a listen just to be open minded and to always be in search of good new music. but most I should say of the old school or older det community would assume it couldn't be complex due to being mnml ..

are you out of your mind?

you didn't catch it evolve....? juan, kevin, derrick, carl, are NOT producing tracks right now that are changing the very way people produce.

how can you think your cookie cutter perfect flawless 12/16 changes perfect (cut/ dry) is far from innovative... . and is closer to conformed, and narrow minded.. when juan, kevin, derrick who -all I cant not stand as dj's- broke from what no one knew anything to something different...

Ricardo Villalobos, Bruno Pronsato, Luciano, Troy Pierce, Jay Haze , Lee Curtiss, Ryan Crosson, J Hunsberger, Hearthrob, Matt John, Guido Schneider, Steve Bug, ect.. (blah blah blah) are taking the (introduction wave) from the 80s you repeatedly beat like mike turn in a tina turner video from the 80's...... and tricked it out made it fresh and set a new bar of music.. setting a higher standard of production. perhaps that is the invisible sentence. . .?

THAT is innovative in it of it's self..
Last edited by John Clees on Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

This thread is great. Keep it going boys.

EDIT: But I have to say that I pretty much agree 100% with 'nowayback'.
Last edited by patrick bateman on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

patrick bateman wrote:This thread is great. Keep it going boys.
:D
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

it's not an arms race you guys!
keep it friendly, keep you cocks inside...

forum is a place where your words get twisted around and then thrown back at you by some wanker who's desperate to sound interesting (im talking in general here), so don't throw virtual punches around, weigh your words on the will-everybody-get-what-im-saying-scale and keep your testorerone under control

real punches are better actually... immediate impact! 8)

as to Juan Atkins, he's the undisputed master of techno
but techno didn't come from Detroit, it grew over the years under the influence of many artists from around the globe
and Juan got the word "techno" from a book by Alvin Toffler "The Third Wave", he didn't use a magic want, but the techno music is linked to a techno society, viz. a society where technology permeates every level of human behaviour socially or individually...

anyway, musical evolution is complex, you might say that Techno was born in Detroit, but it grew up in Europe and Japan, that's the impression that I have had over the past 15 years, and i didn't get that from a book or an interview... i got this by mere observation, people should do that more often
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

dsat wrote:as to Juan Atkins, he's the undisputed master of techno
but techno didn't come from Detroit, it grew over the years under the influence of many artists from around the globe
and Juan got the word "techno" from a book by Alvin Toffler "The Third Wave", he didn't use a magic want, but the techno music is linked to a techno society, viz. a society where technology permeates every level of human behaviour socially or individually...

anyway, musical evolution is complex, you might say that Techno was born in Detroit, but it grew up in Europe and Japan, that's the impression that I have had over the past 15 years, and i didn't get that from a book or an interview... i got this by mere observation, people should do that more often
Word
Somebody finally making some sense. You are absolutely right about where Juan got the term Techno from. Juan was still the first person to associate the word with the kind of music he was making.
As for the second Paragraph, i completely agree. I'v never even once in this this thread claimed anything beyond that.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

John Clees wrote:case in point was... was many...

I think that was more in reference to the past several years of say perhaps detroit artists vs. others..

the now vs. then .............and you agreed it was better therefore you moved I didn't...

I win. the end. (*) (-)

Hey John, you been drinkin today? That made absolutely no sense. What i gathered from your jumbled mass of words is that you have absolutely no idea what the word innovation means so let me get a dictionary definition for you.

Innovation:
definition #1:
a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation Therefore that record is disqualified. There was no new idea in it. He made it with the audio from another artist so technicly if there was any innovation done with that record it was by Monobox, not Ricardo. That's why the artist name on the record is Monobox and not Ricardo Villalobos. You can ask him yourself, i'm sure i can dig up his e-mail for you.

Definition #2: the creation of something in the mind The sounds were not created in the mind of Ricardo. They were created By Rob Hood in his own studio probably years ago, because last time i talked to him he said he hasn't set up his studio in years.

Definition #3: the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new Nothing new in there, just sounds from another record.

I'll let that slide comment.. What? what is that about are you the chat room bully...How am i being a bully to anybody? Please tell me. you should play that on sims video game before chatting your might feel better... Whatever the hell that means :?

anyone of his records could be called innovative.. Yeah if you have no idea what the word "innovative" actually means. By your own definition then i'm just as much an innovator as Ricardo is. You don't see me claiming that do you? if you don't understand the work that goes into his production how could you ever make an informed option of his music? Hello? anybody home Jon? Of course i know what goes into the music he does. Are you so high today that you forgot i make techno too? Was that some sort of half ass insult? :? If there is anybody out of the two of us that has less of an idea about what needs to be done in a studio to complete a track it's you. I'v been coming to you as a freind for over two years asking you to make some damn music so i can hear it. I'v had the ability to put it out for over a year and a half with worldwide distribution if the record is good. But i have heard nothing, nothing at all, not even one complete track. Come on now. I know you can do it, i have no idea why you refuse. I'v even offered to help and still would.

you beat the (Metallica Techno) .... why could I ever suspect you would be opened minded enough to hear or try to understand his music. . . ? I'v heard all of his records John more than once and there are some tracks of his that i like. I don't have to fall in love with everything he does to understand his music.

but me and/or many mnml listeners would in fact give your (Metallica Techno) music a listen just to be open minded and to always be in search of good new music. but most I should say of the old school or older det community would assume it couldn't be complex due to being mnml .. Who the hell are you talking about John it can't be me because i never said anything like that, ever. Of course minimal music can be complex. I'v said before that the genre name didn't quite fit the music anymore. That in no way means that i think minimal is crap. If i did wouldn't it be logical that i don't spin the stuff on occasion like i do.
Case in point:
Torque - Art Of Subtraction
Link:
http://www.kickmagazine.ca/AUDIO/torque2.mp3

are you out of your mind?

you didn't catch it evolve....? juan, kevin, derrick, carl, are NOT producing tracks right now that are changing the very way people produce.

how can you think your cookie cutter perfect flawless 12/16 changes perfect (cut/ dry) is far from innovative... . and is closer to conformed, and narrow minded.. when the all the juan, kevin, derrick who all I cant not stand as dj's broke from what no one knew anything to something different...

You obviously didn't even bother to pull your head out of you ass long enough to get some oxygen to your brain to read what the fck i said in this thread or even in the last two posts i put up. Where are you getting these assumptions from.
Can anybody please point out any case where i said anything even close to that?
I'v never claimed that Juan is making innovative tracks now or that Derrick is. Neither one of them are making jack sh!t.
You're talking as if it's a crime to like the music i like. To me there is only 2 kinds of music, music i like and music i don't. I never at any point in my life claimed to be a minimal producer and i never will be because truthfully even Minimal just sounds like techno to me *Ghasp* :shock: . I never claimed that to be anything other than a personal opinion and have never expected anybody to share it. I guess i could just turn it all around to make you happy and make nothing but minimal but wouldn't that be about a million times more conforming considering that every mugg that has a laptop and ableton live is doing it.

Ricardo Villalobos, Bruno Pronsato, Luciano, Troy Pierce, Jay Haze , Lee Curtiss, Ryan Crosson, J Hunsberger, Hearthrob, Matt John, Guido Schneider, Steve Bug, ect.. (blah blah blah) are taking the (introduction wave) from the 80s you repeatedly beat like mike turn in a tina turner video from the 80's...... and tricked it out made it fresh and set a new bar of music.. setting a higher standard of production. perhaps that is the invisible sentence. . .?
Is there actually a coherent sentence anywhere in that paragraph visible or invisible? :? What gathered from that is that you think those artist are innovating in the way the music is produced. Whatever you want to call it, it still sounds like Techno to me. That's not a statement on whether it's good or bad but to me it sounds like techno and last time i checked there are a whole lot of people making techno, you can still try to put it in it's own sub-genre and try to make it look different but to me it still sounds like techno. I could make techno that sounds like that too if i was to change the set of sounds i use but it would still be techno. I don't understand where this is all coming from John. Is this you taking a dig at the music Me, Brian Kage, Jon or anybody else that does what we do makes? If so, why? Where is this hostility coming from and why do insist on putting words in my mouth? I'm going to assume that you're puttin stuff in-between the lines of what i say. When have i ever come at you like that? Are you just mad because i don't like everything you like? I know it couldn't be that lame. You must be losing your mind. Hey John, hello, it's me, Cliff remember? :D :wink:

THAT is innovative in it of it's self..
dref
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dref »

This thread remembers me the kind of arguments producers from Detroit had with European Producers in the mid 90's. Detroit producers were upset because Europeans were sampling their stuff to do techno records.
All this anger is still there today, and i think it's really sad.
Techno is not a creation in itself, it's just people inspiring other people!!!

Peace
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

oh, i had such a great laugh reading the topic and i must agree on some points with nowayback, but torque and clees also have good standpoits, so u can't blaim them for protecting their turf. it's all good ya'll everyone is a winner here. music was hardly ever original and respect to a few artists who brought something for us to be inspired upon. they are the creators and we are merely followers of the divine.

:oops:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.