grooving mnml...

- ask away
Crimson Chamber Music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crimson Chamber Music »

habitueE wrote:i find these topics a bit.. dunno, feels like everything is getting overanalysed, takes away a bit of the romance and mystery of it all tbh.. just make a fucking beat, if its cool, its cool, if its not, try again

well, no,...
See the thing is if you want to learn an art you have to get instructions and advice to get there, of course you can do all the anylsis yourself and do everything by trial and error, but it takes a lot longer and is much more frustrating,..
Being capable of such analysis and understanding things to such an extent can get in the way of true creativity that is right, but remeber how it was with driving a car, when you learned it you had to get instructions etc. now you do it automatically and you just stop at a red light without thinking, but if there hadn´t been somebody to tell you in the first place that a red light means "STOP" then you would maybe have had one or two crashes before learning it, maybe you would even have been killed in that crash, if you are still following my analogy ;-)

So what I am say is:

Thanks for the great analysis Wesen.

and yes habituE, make a fucking groove and if it sucks try again, if it's cool, cool. But also before using a tool, read the instruction manual 8-)
It's a tekno/electro/housemusic
myspace.com/EdwinKatzer

too much quantization can seriously harm your groove,...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i just see quantizing as another useful tool in the box, iterative and groove quantizing can save you lots of time in roughing out a tune, i never stick to it anyway, its just sometimes useful to test out patterns to see if they work together.
snapping to a 192 grid is quantizing.
a little quantizing can really help sharpen up your beats, maybe theres confusion over what exactly quantizing is. it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

steevio wrote:i just see quantizing as another useful tool in the box, iterative and groove quantizing can save you lots of time in roughing out a tune, i never stick to it anyway, its just sometimes useful to test out patterns to see if they work together.
a little quantizing can really help sharpen up your beats, maybe theres confusion over what exactly quantizing is. it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.
agreed. i knew i contradicted myself in my earlier post. i guess we have to say that all programmed sequences of beats are quantized. it's the nature of the technology. i was really just thinking about the psychological approach.

simple as it sounds, can you just explain what you mean by 'quantizing sharpens up beats'. i understand that differently-quantized patterns will result in a different groove, for the better or the worse (or sharper/blunter). But all we're doing then is changing the timing / time interval between notes. For me, that's another way of rewriting your rhythm part. Shouldn't people be learning more about music theory so they can be more intuitive rather than using prepared patterns? Hmmm, then again; do we want to be drummers or techno producers...?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

clubfoot wrote:
steevio wrote:i just see quantizing as another useful tool in the box, iterative and groove quantizing can save you lots of time in roughing out a tune, i never stick to it anyway, its just sometimes useful to test out patterns to see if they work together.
agreed. i knew i contradicted myself in my earlier post. i guess we have to say that all programmed sequences of beats are quantized. it's the nature of the technology. i was really just thinking about the psychological approach.

simple as it sounds, can you just explain what you mean by 'quantizing sharpens up beats'. i understand that differently-quantized patterns will result in a different groove, for the better or the worse (or sharper/blunter). But all we're doing then is changing the timing / time interval between notes. For me, that's another way of rewriting your rhythm part. Shouldn't people be learning more about music theory so they can be more intuitive rather than using prepared patterns? Hmmm, then again; do we want to be drummers or techno producers...?
i'm not really explaining myself well,
when i write patterns, i write them individually, so that they work as rhythms on their own, now when i put them together, theres inevitably going to be some places where they dont quite gell, some times thats nice and makes for something funky, other times it's better that two notes fall exactly together or it sounds messy, each tune is different, and if you've got quite a few diffrent patterns going, especially in different time siganatures, theres always going to be places where quantising the notes together will tidy everything up.
so for instance if a make a groove template out of the hihats, it might be good to quantize some other percussion sounds to it, others might sound better creating a flam with them,
or if i make another template from the bass, it might be tidier if a lowtom or something is quantized to it, or you lose the attack on the tom, etc etc etc theres millions of uses for it. i'm not talking about prepared patterns, i'm talking about cross referencing the patterns within a tune.
i just think its wrong to say quantizing is sh!t, it's a totally legitimate tool to use in production.
i am a drummer as well as a techno producer, and i'm glad to be both.
as techno heads we can learn alot from drumming, as well as playing in your own patterns.
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

Crimson Chamber Music wrote:
habitueE wrote:i find these topics a bit.. dunno, feels like everything is getting overanalysed, takes away a bit of the romance and mystery of it all tbh.. just make a fucking beat, if its cool, its cool, if its not, try again

See the thing is if you want to learn an art you have to get instructions and advice to get there, of course you can do all the anylsis yourself and do everything by trial and error, but it takes a lot longer and is much more frustrating,..
Being capable of such analysis and understanding things to such an extent can get in the way of true creativity that is right, but remeber how it was with driving a car, when you learned it you had to get instructions etc. now you do it automatically and you just stop at a red light without thinking, but if there hadn´t been somebody to tell you in the first place that a red light means "STOP" then you would maybe have had one or two crashes before learning it, maybe you would even have been killed in that crash, if you are still following my analogy ;-)

So what I am say is:

and yes habituE, make a fucking groove and if it sucks try again, if it's cool, cool. But also before using a tool, read the instruction manual 8-)
well.., no, i think u understood me wrong

im talking about explaining how to make ur beat, not explaing how the technical aspects work, thats completely different thing

when talking about art (or making this kind of music), i think ur analogy of driving the car is a bit unfortunate..
driving a car is not something where you have all the freedom in the world to express yourself, there are rules and guidelines, and penalties if u dont follow them, ...
in music, there should be penalties if u do :)

see what i mean, it feels a bit like when a famous painter gives one of his students a step by step tutorial on how to make an exact replica of one his masterpieces (a bit exgarrerated but u get the point), instead of just explaining him how the various brushes, pencils etc work.. which would in this case be explaining how lfo's, filters, effects work - and even that ... - not how to get that beat thats so 'hot' right now going :)

hope i dont sound rude, thats just my point of view ..
maybe its just me, ive always enjoyed finding out things on my own, i think its much more rewarding in the end
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I'm quite obsessive about quantizing some of stuff. MIDI is sloppy enough as it is.... :lol:
Crimson Chamber Music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crimson Chamber Music »

habitueE wrote:

So what I am say is:

well.., no, i think u understood me wrong

im talking about explaining how to make ur beat, not explaing how the technical aspects work, thats completely different thing

when talking about art (or making this kind of music), i think ur analogy of driving the car is a bit unfortunate..
driving a car is not something where you have all the freedom in the world to express yourself, there are rules and guidelines, and penalties if u dont follow them, ...
in music, there should be penalties if u do :)

see what i mean, it feels a bit like when a famous painter gives one of his students a step by step tutorial on how to make an exact replica of one his masterpieces (a bit exgarrerated but u get the point), instead of just explaining him how the various brushes, pencils etc work.. which would in this case be explaining how lfo's, filters, effects work - and even that ... - not how to get that beat thats so 'hot' right now going :)

hope i dont sound rude, thats just my point of view ..
maybe its just me, ive always enjoyed finding out things on my own, i think its much more rewarding in the end

hmm okay well the car analogy was a bit unfortunate you´re right, but I can assure you that great painters teach you about perspective and picture composition (if you are fortunate to be a student of theirs) not just about how colors and brushes etc. work.
If you look at Picasso for example with a lot of pictures people look at them and go something like "aw my kid could have painted that..." what they forget is that Picasso was able to paint quite well in a traditional scene i.e. photorealistically but then, having mastered his art, decided to do something else entirely, developing his style and techniques on his own, breaking rules he knew existed -> conscious effort instead of a result of trial and error.
And about the step by step guide to the master pieces, I think it is quite common practice that students observe how their master paints and ask him how and why she has done so, of course the result of this process should not be that the student copies exactly what the master did, but rather take parts and change parts. There is just a certain way lighting has to be presented in a painting in order to be a realistic rendering - which is not always desired, granted, but if you want to work with lighting then you better know which rules apply so you can bend and or break them in a manner that is interesting rather than just wrong / dilettante.

okay so much for clarification, don´t think you are rude, you are very much entitled to your own point of view, and you expressed it without stepping on my toes, hope the same goes for me ;-)
It's a tekno/electro/housemusic
myspace.com/EdwinKatzer

too much quantization can seriously harm your groove,...
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

well, no,...

So what I am say is:

Agreed. My weakness would not be sitting down and getting a groove but going through that in detail and really tightening it up and getting a finished track. I also kinda have ADD so its a challenge. The devil is in the detail and sometimes indepth analysis is essential.