Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

- free art
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

Post by pheek »

adam wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:I did some downloading over the last few days - 2.6 gigs in total - to start a new dj project. Im not a dj, so I have just gone with some of hte labels presented here and links from them, etc.

So many tracks that would be great on the dancefloor were just overfilledwith pads, pads, and more reverb. Why? It was like I was listening to trance, not anything minimal. To be fair, stuff like foundsound was not. Sure, there is some nice experimental stuff to listen to at home, but it must be damn hard for djs to find enough proper dancefloor stuff. Is the solution for them stuff like Beatport? Guys, let your sounds breathe a lil without hte extra air!

If anyone can point out some not so padded stuff, that would be awesome.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Every (im generalizing here, spare me the 'well, not my label!') damn netlabel i've heard in the alleged 'techno' and 'minimal' and 'dancefloor' classification has been nothing but boring dubby "nice" music... nothing with any balls, so to speak or anything with real funk... with SCARSE exception, the very few things i've heard that were even slightly good eventually destroyed themselves when more pads and garbage came in.
I knew you were going to comment that, Adam hehe.

I have to agree I have been refusing almost all dub oriented or anything with too much pads lately besides rare exception. It does get on my nerves more and more. :roll:
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

adam wrote:Every (im generalizing here, spare me the 'well, not my label!') damn netlabel i've heard in the alleged 'techno' and 'minimal' and 'dancefloor' classification has been nothing but boring dubby "nice" music... nothing with any balls, so to speak or anything with real funk... with SCARSE exception, the very few things i've heard that were even slightly good eventually destroyed themselves when more pads and garbage came in.
you didn't hear much, did you? ;)
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

pheek wrote:
adam wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:I did some downloading over the last few days - 2.6 gigs in total - to start a new dj project. Im not a dj, so I have just gone with some of hte labels presented here and links from them, etc.

So many tracks that would be great on the dancefloor were just overfilledwith pads, pads, and more reverb. Why? It was like I was listening to trance, not anything minimal. To be fair, stuff like foundsound was not. Sure, there is some nice experimental stuff to listen to at home, but it must be damn hard for djs to find enough proper dancefloor stuff. Is the solution for them stuff like Beatport? Guys, let your sounds breathe a lil without hte extra air!

If anyone can point out some not so padded stuff, that would be awesome.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Every (im generalizing here, spare me the 'well, not my label!') damn netlabel i've heard in the alleged 'techno' and 'minimal' and 'dancefloor' classification has been nothing but boring dubby "nice" music... nothing with any balls, so to speak or anything with real funk... with SCARSE exception, the very few things i've heard that were even slightly good eventually destroyed themselves when more pads and garbage came in.
I knew you were going to comment that, Adam hehe.

I have to agree I have been refusing almost all dub oriented or anything with too much pads lately besides rare exception. It does get on my nerves more and more. :roll:
:P

Doh!!!!! Pads and reverb are not the problem it is lazyness people don't spend enough time working on sounds they just dive into arrangement which creates very poor examples of dubby music...... personally the stuff that uses Commodore 64 sounds and other old computer sounds bores me. But then I am old enough to have had a C64 and I don't need reminded what crappy sounds came out of it. Thats just my personal preference though.......
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i think the netlabels are good to release tracks that have less dancefloor value, except if you have FS of course, so i don't mind the pads..
i still prefer to have the vinyl for some reason, it's my drug
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

dsat wrote:i think the netlabels are good to release tracks that have less dancefloor value, except if you have FS of course, so i don't mind the pads..
right, except we're not debating the merits of format in this thread. many people downloading are not djs and have no use for vinyl. this is simply an issue of musical content.
freeeeeee
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

Der geile Ami wrote:
dsat wrote:i think the netlabels are good to release tracks that have less dancefloor value, except if you have FS of course, so i don't mind the pads..
right, except we're not debating the merits of format in this thread. many people downloading are not djs and have no use for vinyl. this is simply an issue of musical content.
agree
the anti mundane brigade
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by the anti mundane brigade »

I think I have to stick my brief thoughts on this subject. I have to agree with dsat here and 'vinyl is a drug'. I am struggling to find consistently good music on net labels, there is still a vast gulf between the quality of music released on vinyl to the majority of free electronic music availlable on the internet. It is like a lot of net label releases are a story of in-experienced artists experimenting for the first time with music.

This could be the reason with the random placed terrible preset pad sounds, with the producers not trying to hold back from putting an obvious sound in a track. There seems to be a lack of 'balls' to leave it as just a minimal, interesting, original yet danceable groove that your ears and feet never get sick of! If someone knows a place please tell me.
'let us dilute this sea of mediocrity'
tioneb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tioneb »

Maybe thats an easy shortcut but netlabels releases are mostly done with software...

Thats a big drawback of all these vstis, its that they allow making very good pads in a few seconds.... Moreover in the presets you now almost always have delays and reverbs .... So then to me hmm its a good way there are many (good or bad) pads based tracks.

But well , till quality is here, why complain ?
Benoît.