Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

- free art
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Why are netlabel releases so full of pads and reverb?

Post by Der geile Ami »

I did some downloading over the last few days - 2.6 gigs in total - to start a new dj project. Im not a dj, so I have just gone with some of hte labels presented here and links from them, etc.

So many tracks that would be great on the dancefloor were just overfilledwith pads, pads, and more reverb. Why? It was like I was listening to trance, not anything minimal. To be fair, stuff like foundsound was not. Sure, there is some nice experimental stuff to listen to at home, but it must be damn hard for djs to find enough proper dancefloor stuff. Is the solution for them stuff like Beatport? Guys, let your sounds breathe a lil without hte extra air!

If anyone can point out some not so padded stuff, that would be awesome.
freeeeeee
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

dunno what you downloaded, but i have tons of fantastic tracks to dance to. maybe you were looking in wrong places?
DJ L'embrouille
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by DJ L'embrouille »

yep, take a look at Ronny's places -Rohformat, Schleudertrauma and more-, you will find great tek tunes.

if you got time, perhaps you could take a look at my site : www.djlembrouille.net , i've got lot of mixes (but you're not obliged to listen to them !), but the playlist or links section could suit you. each mix got its style (lots of tekno, minimal...) and all tracks have links to netlabel. i don't find too much pads or reverb in this tracks. :wink:
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

what netlabels are doing things in similar vein to found/unfound? Thats been my fav so far. Some from mos ferry, textone, archipel, 1 bit, uran 97 has also been cool, but in every label its only been a few tracks. I'm looking for weird, minimal, dancefloor stuff. Dont get me wrong, its not like the music is sh!t, but not enough space between the sounds for my taste.
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i feel what ur saying Ami... i thought the same when i did my first netlabel mix.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Along with what the guys are saying,

You should check some of the 3Carbine stuff on our label : Avionix

http://www.avionixrecords.com/

Proper dancefloor gear - I'd reccomend Antivision, singularity or Ghostline - the other is probably not what you are lookking for - it's more on a sutekh/murcof tip - a new EP is due soon.

3Carbine remix of Jakeone's : Shake on Flamebox/Avionix also quite hot.

But it's a different style - personally I love the stuff with the pads and reverb, but yeah - it's not the only style available.

And sorry for the shameless plug - there's other cool stuff you might like too, but I'm sure you can have a hunt about.

L'Embrouille has one of the best collections of netlabel mixes I've seen yet BTW - big up yoself Boyo.

While we're on it - the cronolux stuff on thinner is most worthy as is the clevermusic she-it.

If you really want to be blown away by some of the more dancefloor stuff netlabel wise - my own personal fave is the Hakan lidbo EP on textone - it's a frikkin monster - you will have to see for yourself which one's I'm talking about - the one's on the Drought tip are awersome !

Happy hunting
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

so it got easier?

thx for the additional suggestions. I narrowed things down to what I think I'll use, so I'll check them out hte next time I do a big downloading session.
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

but seriously...what is the deal with over reverbing?

i got curious aswell.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.