grooving mnml...

- ask away
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

Don't think there's any formula or method for making a track groove. It's a magical combination of sounds, rhythms and timing that you get at by experimenting. De-quantising is definitely important.

The one thing that improved my drum programming 1000% is stopping using step sequencers with swing and programming with 16th triplets instead.

Apart from the 303 which does some fancy stuff with slides I have absolutely no idea why anyone uses a step sequencer. I'm genuinely curious to know what the advantage is.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

chucklechops wrote:Don't think there's any formula or method for making a track groove. It's a magical combination of sounds, rhythms and timing that you get at by experimenting. De-quantising is definitely important.

The one thing that improved my drum programming 1000% is stopping using step sequencers with swing and programming with 16th triplets instead.

Apart from the 303 which does some fancy stuff with slides I have absolutely no idea why anyone uses a step sequencer. I'm genuinely curious to know what the advantage is.
it really depends on the sequencer, a good one will allow you to advance and delay notes, and use any time signature you want, so there's no restrictions to your creativity,

the best one ive seen is the GenoQs Octapus,

http://www.genoqs.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=119
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you can get interesting grooves using triplets. But i get just as bored listening to triplets than listening to 16th notes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:you can get interesting grooves using triplets. But i get just as bored listening to triplets than listening to 16th notes.
+1

its nice to mix it all up.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

All this talk about using no quantization is bullshit. So many producers use quantization. They use the drum sequencers and analog sequencers all over the place which have their own "grooves" but its not like there isn't any quantization at all.

You've really got to use a little bit of both, but using no quantization at all is just silly. Mixing music that has little to none quantization is a nightmare.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:All this talk about using no quantization is bullshit. So many producers use quantization. They use the drum sequencers and analog sequencers all over the place which have their own "grooves" but its not like there isn't any quantization at all.

You've really got to use a little bit of both, but using no quantization at all is just silly. Mixing music that has little to none quantization is a nightmare.
+1

i often use shuffled quantization as a starting point, and then move things around from there. using different shuffled quantization on different elements works well, but its hard to get right sometimes.
experimentation is the key, just keep trying different things with each sound.
hard quantising to 16th notes is not an option, unless you want people to dance like robots.
in cubase theres all sorts of different quantising possibilites to create a more human feel, also look into groove quantising, make youre own groove templates.
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

steevio wrote:
chucklechops wrote:Don't think there's any formula or method for making a track groove. It's a magical combination of sounds, rhythms and timing that you get at by experimenting. De-quantising is definitely important.

it really depends on the sequencer, a good one will allow you to advance and delay notes, and use any time signature you want, so there's no restrictions to your creativity,

the best one ive seen is the GenoQs Octapus,

http://www.genoqs.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=119
Yeah I can see the appeal of hardware step sequencers it's the software emulations that I'm talking about - like the ones built into software drum machines and reason.

Put your sequencer's piano roll in snap mode and you effectively have a step sequencer.

Except with the piano roll you can actually see where the notes are when you de-quantise or use triplets/swing, groove templates, whatever. The only advantage I can see is cool 3D rendered knobs with red leds. I'm happy to be put right on this one though.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:hard quantising to 16th notes is not an option, unless you want people to dance like robots.
Thats what I always hated about using a tracker back in the day... i could never build shuffled grooves with it...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest