Music overdose

- open
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

pizzamon wrote:Know what you are looking for.
There's a lot to say just about this quote. I think I'd rather not know what I'm looking for because it will leave my mind open to anything that could fit my music mood. I've been slowly shifting back to tech house and deep house lately and I wouldnt have predicted this 8 months ago, as "I knew what I wanted." But in some way, I think it's important as a DJ that you remain aware of your sound, your direction and the people you will play for.

As for the overdose story, god I do agree there's way too much information. In a way, it's cool but it's also overwhelming. So many copycats and so many people thinking that labels want pale imitation of another past hit. tsk tsk. As Milligan said in his interview, distributors have something to do with this... as well as the poor market for records, mixed with the digital boom. We're sort of trapped in a loop.

I get TONS of people msg on Myspace (Pheek, Archipel, Kalimari) with demos and "come listen to my new track on my profile", plus on my 2-3 personal emails, on MSN, plus we have a specific email for demo submission... We have too much to listen to and of course, people think we are waiting for demos all day to listen right away.

Add to that all the releases on Beatport and other cool online shops, Netlabels, tracks by friends...

ugh.

I now am very picky. I look for anything different, fun, trippy. There's not enough of this. I think this little crisis will lead us to something very interesting very soon... :idea:
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

what a great conversation guys! group hug. come on guys come here group hug.
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

i buy b-sides
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
Aleksi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aleksi »

stevësto wrote:what a great conversation guys! group hug. come on guys come here group hug.
:D
TiEZ
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TiEZ »

join an distro and get 500 rls/day that is overdose.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Chicago is the closest city with any good record stores, and it's at the opposite end of the state where I reside. Taking the train is not an option in most of the U.S.A. and 8-hour drives are a waste of fuel. My choices are to either mail-order or download. The average record order takes about 2 weeks to arrive, so you can probably guess what my choice is.
Also, so much of today's music is only released digitally. I couldn't pass up a good track just because it's not on vinyl.
I still buy records if I'm in Chicago, but no more mail-order.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

pheek wrote:
pizzamon wrote:Know what you are looking for.
There's a lot to say just about this quote. I think I'd rather not know what I'm looking for because it will leave my mind open to anything that could fit my music mood. I've been slowly shifting back to tech house and deep house lately and I wouldnt have predicted this 8 months ago, as "I knew what I wanted." But in some way, I think it's important as a DJ that you remain aware of your sound, your direction and the people you will play for.
I'm listening for experience and concept. I am listening for thought process. I could care less about the genre. I listen for people who have been around the block, and are able to portray their experience to me in a tangible way. I am listening for music theory and know-how. Where's the fucking soul man?
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

In fact, I have more to say here. I don't care who has the biggest boom. I don't care who is the most flashy. I don't care who gets the most attention, and in short, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Guys and gals are throwing sh!t out there just because it's there. There used to be intelligence behind the music. I have been collecting releases, and in the scene for what seems like a lifetime. I'm old enough to feel very uncomfortable at parties now, and I've seen it's evolution. The computer is not the answer, it's the human behind it. I used to be able to connect with the artists, now I just see empty plastic. copy after copy, just for the sake of attention. Ninety percent of the artists are not qualified as artists, they are just there, moping along because they can, wasting time, with no general purpose at all. They don't even know how to play an instrument, or any music theory. They don't know why they are doing what they are doing. Most have given it no thought.