Music overdose

- open
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Music overdose

Post by mando »

I have more and more problems to realize all that stuff, because thousands of digital tracks are coming out monthly on free netlabels, on payment netlabels (beatport and co.). more and more (new) indiependent labels are releasing their vinyl stuff.

Mostly stuff are standards and nothing really new or similar to other hundreds of tracks or poor quality.

On Myspace thousands of spam mails and comments coming in, to listen to their stuff. Email too.
Podcasts, Webradio, Webradio and Radio-Shows, DJ and Live Mixes too.

How do you handle your own "filter", to catch your favorits, because i need more and more time to listen to all weekly news and i dont have time, to listen 24 hours to all that stuff. i try to zapp fast on the weekly news, but i see, i need much more time for that.

so i am forced to limit my listening to my vinyl stuff for djing and only listening to well known netlabel, i know the good quality.

for me its still a overdose :/
mcs
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mcs »

sometimes i cannot listen to electronic music and i'm missing a lot of good stuff, but i have to take these timeouts for listening to other musicians and styles. keeps my ears grounded :wink:
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

read this interview of danny tenaglia.

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/news/news.php?id=1140

he spends all of his free time researching new music. the top djs of the world have a full time job during the week just looking for music. the time you see them behind the booth is a very small amount of time involved in what it takes to be a good dj.

good dj sets sound good because they are not monotonous, despite the reptitive nature of the songs. the best djs listen to so much music, without thinking they inherently construct a set that breaks the monotony. its a natural progression from many years of doing this.

its too much to ask to cover all corners of the globe of music, you must narrow your sources down to the ones you find quality most often. its a mathematical formula for success to focus on higher probability.

after listening to track after track, i realize i can't listen to each one in its entiriety, obviously. we all shop the same way now, websites providing short samples usually taken from the middle of a song. even from that short sample, i jump around forward and back in the track only listening for certain sounds. eventually its not songs im listening to, but just elements, or specific attributes. for example, the track "hugg and pepp - snabeln", it has a VERY dynamic range of sounds and tones. it has a nasty deep bass line, but also high notes in the melody, and also a high tone strings "hands in the air" breakdown. when listening to the sample on the website, when skimming through the track very quickly, it instantly stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to all the other monotone percussive tracks. after a week of picking so many great percussive tracks, i get tired of them because they are monotone in nature. i naturally crave melodies, or something with a range in tones, and when coming across something like snabeln, it instantly pops out at you. yes this is not a minimal track, but the same applies to all types and genres, they each have their differences and ranges speperating one from the other.

go through all your tracks, recognize they all sound the same, and say to yourself i wish i had a track with a high wooshing sound, like the 2nd one in this clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fVtJSeE6ph8

and then skim very quickly through tracks listening for just that particular sound/element.

you'll find better success when you 1. narrow your sources to the ones you've had the best quality from and 2. breakdown the attributes of tracks that you like, and focus on those attributes when shopping.

most of us are not full time dj's, and can only do this in our spare time, and this puts us at a great disadvantage. but, how can you stop? this is a seriously addicting hobby. don't worry, you're not alone, we're all doing the same thing you're doing, listening to many many tracks each day. we all come up with our own research techniques.

in the old days it was hard on the back, bending your head down and skimming through the record bins. at least today it's easier ergonomically browsing the internet.
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

^^ wow great post on the art and science of it all

bonus points for mentioning snabeln :)
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

and now after reading the danny T article:

"
The concept of "Minimal House" became more relevant to me when I started to seriously embrace it around 1996 by Artist like Herbert, Maurizio and the entire Chain Reaction and M series. The main one that changed my life the most was "Convextion" by: Convextion on Matrix records! WOW! After that, I had done my first GU CD (Athens) and the first song was "Absolute Reason" which many people noticed and until this day is still often written or spoken about me in helping to introduce Minimal house to the world more than 10 years ago.
"

I remember being a house head not caring for straight up Techno much, I purchased that CD, and that first track mentioned just floored me. Don't like the entirety of the disc but I would listen to that track endlessly, and got me into the whole basic channel, maurizio and oh yes convextion- still on top of my all time list. Interesting.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Maurizio is definitely one of my early minimal favorites.

I agree that there is too much music out there. It's hard to go through all of it.

I do think netlabels are good for new artists if they're looking to get some tracks out with not much of a hassle.

Maybe the number of netlabels will hit a peak and then flatten out, who knows?
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I think you have to get away of the idea of missing something. When I go record shopping, I don't look for anything in paticular. I just browse the news, first the names i expect some quality from, then just stuff I never herad about, where the arwork might look interesting, or I like the track names. If I have money for 7 records with me; I just buy the 7 ones I liked most, and even if I missed something great, I still know I wasted all my money on good music. And if something slips my attention, I can be sure someone gives me a hint later on.

I spend quite a lot of time in record stores - up to 5 hours a week - and I listen to a lot of music. I still find a lot of great stuff on vinyl, so I don't really care for digital releases. And with digital releases you never have the problem of missing anything anyway since it's usually available for eternity. Or almost :wink: Vinyl is still a different story though, so I limit my attention to record stores.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

how i start is listening to what my favorite djs are playing at the moment. it's often good to look at people who spend their full time looking at records and see what they find ! and often when i try and make a set - my favourite djs inspires me anyway, so its good to hear how they utilise some tracks which i like, like them !

then.. you branch out from there. for example "oh well kaden used a bruno pronsato song from a hello repeat release - ok well bruno released something on telegraph.. let's check that out"

and that's how it goes for me.

definitely a lot of stuff out there... i try to also look a lot at netlabels. there is a lot of stuff there that is overlooked by major djs and which is very good. just because it is pressed on vinyl doesnt mean its worth the price..