mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

it's only music baby
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

The path to enilghtenment is a healthy mixture of variety and non-chalance.

Oh, yeah... and this:

..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

Forgot to tell you: Minimal is a product of second century Greece, more recently a product of a few architects, then in ambient music in the 1960's and most recently in film and minimal techno. I believe each of these movements and media were based on the same ideal and aesthetic.
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

plaster wrote:the fact that worries me is the huge ammount of people in minimal techno biz who actually sat infront of a program like half year ago and now they release on labels. what's up with that...it's a clear sign that crap sells.
What's intrinsically awful about that?
i don't understand why can't they be patient and finetune their skills then release something which might be timeless...this way we have alot of hyperproduction which doesn't cut after two to three months. thats a worrying fact for me.
Well, I personally find that when I show my work to others in ANY medium just sharing it makes me push myself harder.
I mean, do you write better english in your scratch pad or a report your boss' boss reads?
There's also something to be said for fast and sloppy. Granted, you're talking to an expat from the midwest punk scene, but everyone will admit there's very good thrown-together youthful what-have-you.
gmschroeder wrote:I mean, how do you make a overarching 1-4-7-1 progression in loop-based music?
my music skill hasn't arrived to that point of understanding this, but maybe you could explain what does an overarching 1-4-7-1 term mean.
It's not a "skill." It's going to an overpriced college. I am a poor guitar player and even worse electronic producer.
I-IV-VII-I is the pattern that every western european song outside of EDM and some 20th century composition adheres to.
If you are a guitar player, you've used it hard.
Tonic (I), subdominant (IV), leading tone (VII), then tonic again is the simplest version of the pattern.
Once you get out of polyphony and into harmony, that translates to root, 4th, 5th (which contains the leading tone) and back to the root.
sounds interresting and i'm really open to learning cuz we can't say many people know such terms here.
I hear irony. Just call me overbearing.
out of curiosity, what makes you think it takes forever to program such piece. it's a midi sheet with beats programmed over it. nothing hard to achive. if we were to discuss autechre, that would probably take forever to program. then again, maybe not.
I just thought for ten seconds and remembered that couldn't be done with stock 303s.
Oops. Here I was thinking someone programmed good counterpoint into two sync'ed tb-303s the old fashioned way . . .
Will you admit that would be a bit of a skullfuck?
please don't get me wrong, i'm not here just to rant about nonsence for the sake of just saying something. :wink:
Uh, then why are you on the internet?
Seriously.

(Edited some theoretical terms/spelling. Yes, I am this bored.)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

gmschroeder wrote:What's intrinsically awful about that?
a large ammount of mediochre music. you can't find anything inspiring or worth collecting. then again, maybe you don't care about music in that way. i like to hear quality, inspiration and a certain ammount of emotion in any music.
gmschroeder wrote:I hear irony. Just call me overbearing.
i feel insecurity in your knowledge.
gmschroeder wrote:Uh, then why are you on the internet?
Seriously.
to learn stuff.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

I really do agree that theres a lot of producers who dont learn their craft before releasing stuff.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Alphajuno wrote:I really do agree that theres a lot of producers who dont learn their craft before releasing stuff.
+1

mainly djs who need to release to boost their carreer, but have no real interest in making music.
but don't panic! that's not guilty for every dj... there are also lots of excellent dj/producers
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

plaster wrote: a large ammount of mediochre music. you can't find anything inspiring or worth collecting. then again, maybe you don't care about music in that way. i like to hear quality, inspiration and a certain ammount of emotion in any music.
I like to hear quality too. That entails wading through complete tripe. It always has.
I'm not a vinyl fetishist. I am tolerant of music that doesn't measure up to my oh-so-significant standards - mostly because it's always one or two keystrokes away from out of my life.
i feel insecurity in your knowledge.
My question was really just "How often is 'good' minimal electronic music 'good' tonal music?" The rest was admittedly a digression. Sorry.

Otherwise, I could give two fucks.