Whats the best path to enlightenment?

- ask away
Audio phil
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Audio phil »

A. Use samples/loops?

B. Synthesis your own sounds from scratch?

C. A+B?

For me? B.

How about you?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

b could be an option, but it won't hold the water if you don't have a basic knowledge of chords and progressions, like 90% of minimal techno nowdays...you won't hear any harmony or chord progression.

if you don't mind i'll add up:

- chord progression
- arrangement
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

C

Don't limit yourself by doing one or the other.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

D. minimal is about breaking boundries. Chords and progression produce solid musical compositions and since I've been on this forum I haven't seen a single person who knows what "minimal" really is. minimal didn't happen recently it started in early nineties. The whole point of minimal was a small ammount of progression. Large emphasis on rhythm based sample arrangement. Minimal use of synths and elements. Think of it like making a techno song and stripping it down from anything and keeping only the most important parts.

If you don't think I know what I"m talking about I just happen to know of a mix that will back it up. http://deepmix.ru/selected/www.deepmix. ... _05_98.mp3

Using other people's samples is nice if they're very high quality samples but at the same time there's a problem that has been going on since samplers became popular.... and that is songs keep coming out and you hear sounds in them that you've heard before. Loops are out of questions, no offence to noobs but only noobs use loops. Making your own samples isn't difficult to do to achieve good results. I've gotten myself settled at making samples for every song that I make. It makes perfect sence to do so because when you come up with a creative idea you're not limited by your sound pallete and you can create any sound you want and create ones that go with it by using simmilar effects, simmilar ways of generating the sound, simmilar pitch and so on and when you arrange them together it all has a unique tone which is unique only to that track.

I sudgest using stacks of effects and tweaking your synths beyond oblivion to see what you can get out of them.... even the operator in live coupled with a layer of non delay effect can produce wicked glitchy sounds. Try mapping all the "important" knobs on a simpler like loop start, length, pitch, transpose (same goes for impulse) to a midi controller and turn them rapidly you'd be amazed with what you come up with....

this is how I started these days I use circuit bending for some samples however latelly I've been going into modular like synth maker and reaktor for sample needs. Anyways hope that helps

by the way sorry don't mean to diss others opinions it just really frustrates me how much the minimal meaning changed over the years and it's really drifted away from what it was originally created for.

another thing, one hint that you need to realise.... and I can not stress this enough to people...

THE MORE YOU BREAK RULES AND BOUNDRIES OF MUSIC THE BETTER RESULTS YOU WILL GET... same is true for sample creating....
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Ruso wrote: since I've been on this forum I haven't seen a single person who knows what "minimal" really is.
Ruso wrote:
If you don't think I know what I"m talking about I just happen to know of a mix that will back it up
we are really lucky to have you here :wink:
can't wait to tell all the producers of the "label section" they must stop everything!
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

plaster, what you say is very true, with one exception:
plaster wrote:...90% of minimal techno nowdays...you won't hear any harmony or chord progression.
that would be correct, if it wasnt for one thing - in percussive synthesis progression happens too fast to be actually 'heard' (at least by less-trained ears). example: a very popular opinion is that a kick-drum's essence is a rapidly decaying pitch envelope. veeery wrong.

sometimes people hear a good synthesised drum sample, and they dont quite understand what makes it sound good. they too think, if they use that sample and make their own track with it, it will sound good too. what they fail to realise is that, its a very quick progression of 2-3 (mostly)simple chords, harmonically related to the bass' root.

that said, if you dont know some basic intervals (and more importantly the technique with which to apply them) your track will sound shitty even if you use a good sample.

harmony in minimal is not about 'playing chords' on a synth. its about incorporating progressions into the track-bed - the kick/bass.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Whats the best path to enlightenment?

Post by steevio »

Audio phil wrote:A. Use samples/loops?

B. Synthesis your own sounds from scratch?

C. A+B?
i synthesize my own sounds and never use samples, but only because thats what i want to do, it fullfills me. i have no desire to sample anything, building sounds from raw waveforms means they're my sounds, but that doesnt mean i have anything against sampling or anyone who uses them.
Audio phil wrote: Whats the best path to enlightenment?
your own.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Ruso wrote:.... even the operator in live coupled with a layer of non delay effect can produce wicked glitchy sounds...
I just have to say this out: Operator is HUGE, if u know what I mean. And I mean HUGE!
take your time...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...