The Promo Mix

- open
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

trak660 wrote:A DJ should use whatever format best suits them. I use decks because I think it's more fun. Someone who likes effects and more layers of tracks should be using Ableton or something. Vinyl has been a niche market for about 30 years. It will only become more expensive to produce. In the US, a vinyl DJ purchases almost everything by mail order. There is no train to hop on, here. Digital has allowed American DJs to stay current with their music. 7-10 hour drives suck, and so do record prices. A release has to be very special for me to purchase the vinyl. Usually, I just get the wav version of my favorite ones and 320 for the rest. I'm no longer hung up on formats, but will continue to use Technics to beatmatch. It's what is best for me.

When I get back to my computer, I will download this mix from Soundcloud. Seems like it was put together with great care.

If you don't value the quality of the music enough to pay £10 for a piece of vinyl, it's probably not worth playing anyway. I remember when I used to get £90 a week in my first job, £30 of which would get spent at Blackmarket records every weekend. We never complained then, and the price increase of vinyl is well inside the rate of inflation.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I don't have the time to drive to Chicago or Detroit every week., and neither do most people. If I want to play something as soon as it's released, then digital is my only option.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

why do you have to play something as soon as its released Oo

thats exactly what i criticize about digital, its not traktor, i even would accept no beatmatching

but the whole digital era changed the way people consume music and also how they choose theire music and last but not least how they play it ..

if i play a track in 1 week, or 1 month it doesnt matter, cause i try to buy only tracks wich are good even in 2 years

i simply believe the whole digital era didnt do any good for the music

production wise and djing wise
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Getting new tracks is a part of DJing. If there's a good new track out, I want to play it at my next gig, not the one after.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

if you dont play the newest lady gaga remix, your audience will not know that its a new track, could also be a track from 4 years ago or 10.

but ok, if thats whats important for you, to play always the newest tracks then i guess vinyl is not the right choice for you anyway
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Themis wrote:why do you have to play something as soon as its released Oo

thats exactly what i criticize about digital, its not traktor, i even would accept no beatmatching

but the whole digital era changed the way people consume music and also how they choose theire music and last but not least how they play it ..

if i play a track in 1 week, or 1 month it doesnt matter, cause i try to buy only tracks wich are good even in 2 years

i simply believe the whole digital era didnt do any good for the music

production wise and djing wise
Completely agree, when I buy music I don't buy it because it's the latest and it's a bomb, I buy it because it will still be brilliant in years to come.

When it comes to digital DJs, there are not many that I know, who do the same.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Yeah, but I see the point in playing the newest tracks. If a new track is going to be brilliant for years to come, then you want to buy it and play it as soon as possible...

Same as an old track that is great, you want to get that and play it as soon as you can.. it works both ways, the excitement of getting that new track - new to you anyway - is what I love about buying music
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Ciaran_ wrote:Yeah, but I see the point in playing the newest tracks. If a new track is going to be brilliant for years to come, then you want to buy it and play it as soon as possible...

Same as an old track that is great, you want to get that and play it as soon as you can.. it works both ways, the excitement of getting that new track - new to you anyway - is what I love about buying music
Yes I agree with you but I think within the digital scene their is too much importance on having the beatport top 10 in your playlist, and you find that these kidn of folk steal their music.