Full tracks "livesets" your point of view...

- open
Luka
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Luka »

you would hope that the artist has enough care and grace to at least have a bit of time to tweak the music at a performance.

any artist of worthy calibur will be still tweaking.

the distinction of live is all out of wack.

live dj set
live performance
live pre recorded set

sounds like time for an overhaul
problemchild
melbourne australia

http://www.myspace.com/problemcreations
Tek23
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tek23 »

its just like dj's who don't mix their records

lazy and half hearted
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Most people in this genre of music are using Ableton because it is easy and fits the formula for minimal music so well. People are getting PAID a lot more for a lot less however. If the kiddies are willing to shell for it, then go have some fun being a bigtime DJ Producer who is looking for fame and fortune. Live the "live" life. Real music isn't happening anywhere but in your heart tho. Most guys who I want to hear will hardly ever play out because it just isn't "popular" right now. I would much rather hear some guy bust out a single synth or guitar or some circuit bent monster he made in his garage. I like to hear people fck with the physics of sound and have a personal relationship with the world around them. I use Ableton, just like everyone else, I have since "live"1. I have upgraded through every incarnation of it. Why, because it is useful. I would use ableton in a set with a kit for sure, but I would personally never go in front of a crowd with expectations using ONLY a laptop. There are guys that do it well tho (the TOUCH label comes to mind) they just are not the "superstar" type. It really comes down to who you are, how much experience you have, and most of all your "vision". If you don't have a concept, you don't have a clue.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

a performer's job isn't to do things a certain way because people say so... it's to play an awesome fucking show and entertain people. If that involves dropping a track that way, so be it... sometimes, especially when it's a hit that everyone loves so much, it's the best thing to do.

But with that said, it would be boring if that's all they did. But a couple maybe? who the sh!t cares. I think having a "debate" about such trivial things is being a little religious about it all.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

hit the nail on the head.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

adam wrote:hit the nail on the head.
Bang!
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:a performer's job isn't to do things a certain way because people say so... it's to play an awesome fucking show and entertain people. If that involves dropping a track that way, so be it... sometimes, especially when it's a hit that everyone loves so much, it's the best thing to do.
I totally agree with this...

but artists/agents charge more for a "live pa" than for a "dj set", that's where I think there's a problem when people play their fully rendered tracks in ableton (pre-arranged or not), it's just not very honest imho!
(:roll: but then, who cares about honesty in business... :roll:)
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Right.

Also...see it from a band's perspective (they're not quite into the same buisness but still): They are playing live and there is no ambiguity there...yet they often have to split the money a laptopper will keep all to himself. Just wanted to add that...

Yeah...honesty in a buisness where the clientele is rather ignorant... not likely.