Monitors

- ask away
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Monitors

Post by i978 »

Up until now I've been using my stereo speakers for monitoring. I think to take it to the next level I need to get myself some decent monitors. Don't know what to go for (active/passive, nearfield, etc...) What are people out there using? Any recomends?
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

I use and recommend the ALESIS MK2 Active. Biamplified active nearfield for a good price with good sound!
--

mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i use the....

try scrolling down and looking at the topics
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

--

edin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edin »

i am using dynuadio bm5a,.... and what can i say...great response and very
good sounding....
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

the dynaudio bm5's are my favorite speakers i have heard under 1000 dollars. they may not have the lowest frequency response in their class but the frequencies it amplifies it amplifies very very precisely.
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i978 »

Thanks for the help guys. Previous threads were a good read (Sorry, I'll search harder for them next time).

Mlexicon, do you earn comission for every KRK Rokit 8 sold :lol:
Seriously though, having had a listen to a couple of the tracks that you've posted, you're obviously getting pretty good results with them (not that I'm suggesting the results are because of the monitors you use)

I've had a look at the Dynaudio BM5a, and it definately is a very good monitor. Unfortunately, I think it's a little out of my price range at the moment. In the UK they're £880.00 (ish) a pair whereas the Alesis & KRK 8s are bouth around the £400.00 mark. Unless anyone can suggest an alternative, it looks as though, for me, it's a straight fight between Alesis & KRK.

Alesis Mk2's seem to have the edge in terms of frequency response at 40Hz to 23.5kHz. However, I descovered that the response is only specified flat between ±2dB 50Hz to 20kHz, which could account for anecdotes of low end dodgyness. The KRK 8's have a reported range of ±1.5dB 45Hz-20kHz but I have been unable to ascertain whether this is flat response. I have not heard a bad thing about KRKs (perhaps because not many people use them! - Is this telling me something?) I must say, I'm leaning more towards the KRKs simply because they look a lot prettier :wink:

My mind is not made up though. Alesis vs. KRK: what would you go for?
edin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edin »

i will go for krk,.... it is good reference monitor, probably the best in this price range...

i heard alesis, my friend has them.., i dont hear the real presentation in lows,.. when we listened track on my system defenetly not enough lows,..

this is just my opinion....

cheers