Beatport - The backlash!!

- open
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

The third track on the Karloff example is a 4 mins 46 secs long track though. Why wouldn't Beatport try and sell that as well?
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

According to the Minus-site the new Min2Max-compilation is available @ beatport but it isn't! :cry:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

ParanoidDancer wrote:I wonder if someone here has actually sold tracks thru one of the sites so we can compare how much an artist or label actually gets from the tracks that are sold.
I didn't see any money from the tracks of mine on there. I need to check with the labels :?
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I made some money from my releases which are currently on Beatport, they're not stealing from me. I have no issues with them what so ever.

If the music is too expensive, that's a personal choice, no one's forcing you to purchase the mp3s.

The point on mp3 sales is not to make you buy the entire EPs but to give you more options. Instead of buying a 12" for just one track, you can buy just that one track as an mp3. That is one of the benifits of any given MP3 store.

That in mind, mp3 sales are still no where near as much as vinyl or CD sales, so this has to be taken into account for their pricing as well. The less people buy of something, the more it will cost in general so that they are able to support themselves.

Whether or not they are 'money hungry' doesn't matter because no one is making you buy from them. It's not like a government taxation or anything that you *must* do. It's a choice.

Now, that is the money part, on the artist/label relation side of things, I would know much less about since I do not currently run a label and wouldn't know how these companies handle that side of things.

However, like any distributor, they have the right to choose who they want to support with their services, it's not an everyone gets in kind of thing. That is just how the music world seems to work.

Yes, it does suck sometimes, but it happens, and the only thing one can do is deal with the situation and persevere.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Yeah, the benefit of buying mp3s is that you can just buy the one or two tracks you want off the 12", so you don't have to shell out for a long player just to get that one wicked track!

Beatport is normally $1.49 per track, or $1.99 for pre-release tracks, which I'm fine with. One thing I think they should change it to make special offers for buying the full release. E.g if it is a three track EP, then it's either $1.49 per track, or $3.99 for the whole release. Most businesses in the world will offer you a discount the more you buy from them, or do kind of "buy two, get one free" deals. So why not Beatport?

Come on guys, you get a lot of our business, so offer us some sweeteners!! 8)
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

keep music precious ! buy it in a box or a sleeve !

i see beatport as more of a music archive rather than a place to find new, upfront releases !
i actualy beleive they should charge more, especialy for just individual tracks ! i also beleive that if you dont want to buy all that artists tracks featured on a release, then you shouldnt realy need/deserve to be able to purchase that release !

AND they should carry EVERY labels releases too ! :evil:
'adventitious roots'
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

why are they refusing labels? it's just some extra bandwith and a bit of typing work on the site right? i'd understand if they refused shitty hardstyle/jump but pheek was on the minus and minus is on beatport.. :?:

did they hook you up with a reason?
daedum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daedum »

hmmm.. a friend of mine has his label on there.. and it is no where near popular or famous. Like everything is in the world, It might be who you know and not how much talent you have.
---> My album is out now on Beatport and iTunes. <---