cadence

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

cadence

Post by plaster »

can someone please explain what does it mean when snares do or don't have enuff cadence?

:?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

when playing a piano a cadence is a few notes u put inbetween chord changes to make them sound smoother (as far as i understand), so i'm assuming that when talkin bout snares its prolly the grace notes you need.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

you mean, they give the feel if the compositon is ending or making it's way thru another theme?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
jhon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jhon »

plaster wrote:you mean, they give the feel if the compositon is ending or making it's way thru another theme?
isnt this with all drums... like ghost drums.. small drum hits in between the hits.. making it feel natural and smoother.. putting in small low velocity hits inbetween..
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

what jhon said
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

what jhon said is correct. if you use a few ghost snares underneath the hats between the normal snares on 2 and 4 they can give you some interesting results, at least they have for me.
jakGALT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ghost drums exist!

Post by jakGALT »

...hahah
..they inject more funk!
.....word!

www.soundcloud.com/GALTFaculty

GALT|Faculty
Lostra
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Lostra »

its when u "humanize" the programm of your drums. Like it is played by drummer in natural condition

also from wikipedia
In Western musical theory a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is a particular series of intervals or chords that ends a phrase, section, or piece of music. Cadences give phrases a distinctive ending, that can, for example, indicate to the listener whether the piece is to be continued or concluded. An analogy can be made with punctuation, with some weaker cadences acting as commas, indicating a pause or momentary rest, while a stronger cadence will then act as the period, indicating the end of the phrase or musical sentence. Cadences are called "weak" or "strong" the more or less final the sensation they create, with the perfect authentic cadence being the strongest type.

In music of the common practice period, there are four main types of cadences: authentic, plagal, half, and deceptive. Authentic cadences may be perfect or imperfect. Each cadence can be described using the roman numeral system of naming triads (see chord):

Authentic cadence: V to I. The phrase perfect cadence is sometimes used as a synonym for authentic cadence, but can also have a more precise meaning:
Perfect authentic cadences: V to I, the chords must be in root position, that is the root of the chords must be in the bass, and the root of I must be in the highest voice also
Imperfect authentic cadences: V to I, one or more of the chords are inverted or not in root position or the root of the I is not in the highest voice
Half (or imperfect) cadence: any cadence ending on V, whether preceded by ii, IV, or I, or any other chord
Phrygian cadence: a half cadence from IV⁶ to V in minor, so named because the half-step motion in the bass mimics that of the cadences in medieval music in Phrygian mode
Plagal cadence: IV to I, known as the "Amen cadence"
Deceptive (or interrupted) cadence: V to any chord except I (typically vi)
It should be noted that these chord sequences do not necessarily constitute a cadence — there must be a sense of closure, as at the end of a phrase. Harmonic rhythm plays an important part in determining where a cadence occurs.

:)

L.