New Hard Drive

- ask away
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

New Hard Drive

Post by Jesse_mtl »

Gooday :) Just got a new firewire Hard drive, and at 7200 rpm its faster than my laptops. it has advantage of being 160gb, when my laptop hardrive is 100GB.

Question: I want to use this new harddrive purely for audio. Being a firewire connection, would it be smart to install my DAW's and other audio applications and run them off this harddrive? Example i install Live on this new harddrive, and i store all my samples and sh!t on it.. and delete it off of my slower 4200 rpm hard drive? OR should i leave Live on my 4200 and transfer all my samples to the 7200

is the firewire ( or usb ) strong enough to run Live and reference samples on it at the same time ?

brian C where u at man :)
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

what a good question.
i think it should be fine to leave live on the old HD because the program is loaded into RAM anyways.

my friend keeps his samples and bounced audio files on his external HD and is doing fine with it. but i can't really tell from personal experience.
troiton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by troiton »

i would say to keep your apps on your computer but keep your audio files on the external hard drive.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

troiton wrote:i would say to keep your apps on your computer but keep your audio files on the external hard drive.
i do that