modular etc etc

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Doepfer DIY is better than some of the newer offerings, and it is affordable, but my advice to a newbie is just to go straight for the best.
i totally agree that if you can afford it, get the best kit you can, its always been my philosphy, however, what are we talking about here ? how many more modules could a newbie buy with the extra cash that it would cost for the Hinton kit ?.
fair enough if the advantage was really marked and the perfromance of the Doepfer kit really poor, but i'm not finding any problems, i'm happy with the performance, i switch my kit on and run it all day every day, and i never have any feelings of anxiety that anything is going to go wrong, so is it worth the newbie sacrificing a potentially bigger system which is more fun, more usable etc... for that better engineering. personally i dont think so.
it's the same with the cheaper module manufacturers like MFB and ASol. ive got several modules from these manufacturers, i never have problems with them, they do what theyre supposed to, i'd love to have some Cwejman modules in my rig, but i chose to buy many more doepfer / ASol modules for the same money, which gives me way more options, and i dont believe the difference is that marked.
It would be a different story if i had loads of money.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

different strokes for different folks I guess. I was pretty close to death last year from an extremely destructive relationship and it made me quite happy putting everything I have into my modular system... my relationships with those manufacturers was really important during that time and I absolutely trust in them 100%.

Graham has spent hours and hours helping me, he helped me design the power distribution for my PA set up, and I have pages and pages of emails from him about technical information like calibrating reel to reels and all that jazz. His knowledge is absolutely unparalleled.

If you look at what goes into his products he is not making a killing by any means, and from looking at my system as a long term investment I would not choose anything else.
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

oblio, don;t think about what happened, think about what can positive feelings can develop your creativity!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

lol at counselling service thru technical arguments... ha!

nah it's all good now mate... proper fucked up sh!t tho... and quite ironically like you say... really brings about a desire for life!!!

wouldn't change any moment of it (well, maybe all of it)...in a way it's paved a lot of important paths for me, made me quite understanding towards others, and made me really happy to go as far as possible into being my own person. well, kinda.

definitely made me happy to drop a load of cash onto out of this fucking world synth products tho!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

btw oblio, do you need another amp for the PA, Smiler has a CS800, same as the ones in the rig, he sold one last week, but he still has another which he'll probably let go at a good price. i cant afford to buy it, but thought i should let you know
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think with the PSU it ultimately comes down to the rest of your system...

some modules are pretty raw in their design , or say the Doepfer modules where there are lots of single modules.

For my system the ultra stable and ultra clean PSU suits the modules that I use, which aim for very low noise.

Definitely the Doepfer PSU does it's job and the DIY kit is a very affordable entry point.
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

any thoughts about this? will have it in a little while!

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... h-mark-ii/
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

kenah wrote:any thoughts about this? will have it in a little while!

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... h-mark-ii/
are you building it?