modular etc etc

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

i have over 200 patch cords and only two have broken in 3 years. (but i tend to use only two types, Analogue Systems and Tiptop stackcables)

vactrols - i love the idea of them, but i dont find that the modules i have with them in are particularly special, however i do use my Makenoise modules a lot.

my kind of music tends to have a lot of short envelope / percussive sounds in it, if anyone an tell which ones come from vactrol based modules i'd be very surprised. (even though vactrols are supposed to be a little slow for snappy envelopes.) they tend to 'wood out' the sound, i like that and use it, but the same effect can be got from the attack on a non-vactrol envelope.

dont overlook Analogue Systems modules, they're amongst my favourite modules in my rig, they have such a lovely warm sound or effect on the sound

The Tiptop VCOs are great, the frequency display on them is absolutely essential to me for the way i make music, they sound good and have loads of FM / waveshaping options etc..
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

about the psu's , i want eurorack but do not consist of replacing many things in quite short time as in many years because i have to make music and learn not throw with money on psu's.

this is what i get : http://www.schneidersladen.de/doepfer-a ... rahmen-6he
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

My Wogglebug and Borg filters are life changing instruments.

I bought up a load of vactrols in the great vactrol scare of 2012 like a big twat (manufacturers hiked up the price and everyone got worried they were going out of business)... good entrepreneurial skills there.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kenah wrote:about the psu's , i want eurorack but do not consist of replacing many things in quite short time as in many years because i have to make music and learn not throw with money on psu's.

this is what i get : http://www.schneidersladen.de/doepfer-a ... rahmen-6he
kenah, that isnt a PSU its a voltage adapter, for use with modules that have 5V circuits as well as 12V.

you need the A100 DIY kit ;
http://www.doepfer.de/a100_DIY_kits.htm

i have 5 of these, 100% reliable, no issues in 3 years, bullet proof
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

i have posted this http://www.schneidersladen.de/doepfer-a ... rahmen-6he
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hey kenah,

now i see, but try clicking on your link in your other post mate
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

for not much more than that you can get a Hinton PSU and frame. The man knows every single detail that makes up the whole picture.

I've got nothing but respect for Doepfer but I'm happy to stand up and say that his PSU is very poorly engineered compared to the Hinton one.

The DIY PSUs have no safety earth. The busboards are not well thought out for system noise and crosstalk. The transformer is attached to the PCB and not to the chassis. The heat sinking is very poorly thought out.

Hinton PSU comes with lifetime service and is the best audio PSU that has ever been designed. I heard the difference straight away.

hinton-instruments.co.uk
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenah »

thank you oblioblioblio. also do you recommend analogue solutions psu?

also what do you think about mfb lfo or analogue solution lfo, compared to doepfers.