modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think the vulcan and the dalek are extremely similar.

the dalek using 2 sines and the ring mod in 'destroy' mode is great for bass. I don't know what it would sound like on a big system though, as with ring modulation you get all kinds of side bands, probably down into well below sub sonic frequencies. I didn't kill myself in the studio yet so thats a good sine. (ouch)
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

oblioblioblio wrote:If you mix the waves from the Wiard Oscillator you can get pulsewidth modulation and similar from all the waves, including triangle and saw. I like mixing 2 saws.
i'll give this a shot. the livewire stuff is just top notch imo. i wouldn't hesitate to purchase some more.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

square 1 plus square 2 put through inverter and the 2 mixed together is PWM. you can apply this principle to any of the waves and do whatever you like. You can also do much crazier stuff with the XMIX:

Yeah I agree about Livewire... would love to get a Chaos Computer but alas no space. The Cyclotron keeps me happy. You can get raw techno modulations like Sleeparchive or Mika Vainio.

skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

oblioblioblio wrote:Sleeparchive or Mika Vainio
sold! those names are like "the magic words" to me!

my long term goal, which i admit is young and naive and likely to change as i learn, is to have 12u to make a dedicated techno instrument.

3u synth
3u synth
3u drums
3u sequencing and cv mangling

everything seems pretty clear to me accept for the cv mangling stuff. i'd like it to mangle cv in a similar way as to how i mangle midi now. currently i have one midi clip that triggers everything, then i have midi delays, the equivalent of audio gates for midi, velocity controls and other things to move it all around and make it not sound like its all from the same source but the fact that it is gives it a cohesive feeling. i really have no idea how to implement this but i am doing some reading. it seems like clock dividers are cruical here but i don't know what else. any tips are appreciated.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it might not work exactly like you want it, as the Cyclotron has basically no way to sync to anything else, the inspiration behind it was from patching test oscillators together, and Mike Brown was inspired by the limitations of this to turn this style of patching into a module.

I guess it depends on what music you're trying to make. For me my system is highly unstable so the DC basically 'syncs' to what I'm doing by getting the lfos at the right speed.

However some techno people would want something that locks to your grooves, so if I were in that boat I might look at the 4ms Pingable envelope generator.

I think you've just got to work at it to find your style. The beauty of modular is in being able to experiment with a wide set of possiblities and gradually settle on the modules and patching styles that suit you the most.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

yes, you're absolutely right. my plan right now is to just read through all of the descriptions for doepfer modules (since they cover a lot of bases) and decide what is going to work for me. even though i don't exactly know how to implement it yet i have no shortage of vision for my sound.

as far as synced vs free floating sounds and modulations i want them both.
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

just keep in mind that every module has the option to be free.. only some can be synced, so its syncable its both.. if not.. well you might eventually grow out of it.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

5meohd wrote:just keep in mind that every module has the option to be free.. only some can be synced, so its syncable its both.. if not.. well you might eventually grow out of it.
great advice! thanks!