modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's probably a bit OT, but with me I really value synergy.

By the time you have a complex patch going it's made up of a large interconnected system... with my Wiard modules the sequencer is designed to work with the wave controls on the VCDO, the envelopes work intimately with the sequencer... everything fits together to make up the complete picture and if these connections between modules are highly integrated by the manufacturer it saves on attenuators / offset generators, as well as giving you a push in the right direction by having some creative limits and just learning how to push those limits.

Obviously different people require different solutions, on the forum there seems to be a fairly even mix of people who value a highly integrated system versus people who like to mix and match.

But with me, it always comes back to the Wiard. I've owned modules by many many different manufacturers, Make Noise, Metasonix, Macbeth and I always prefer the Wiard ones, even if they have limits in function compared to the others. I don't see a module as existing on it's own, I see it as part of a bigger system. But I'm sure other people like to have a wide variety to choose from and pick what the functions they need.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

skept wrote:
steevio wrote:
skept wrote:i'm really into midi delay at the moment which i am assuming is similar to what you are describing.
yeah its very similar, but not exactly the same, and i'd find it difficult to explain why its different in the same way as i find it hard to explain the difference between modular and other forms of synthesis, but if youre into midi delays then you'll love modular mate.
what type of modules should i start looking at based on what we are talking about here?
things like the A162 trigger delay, ive got 8 of them (thats 16 delays), their invaluable, to get shuffles, flams, delays, control the gate length before envelopes etc. infact hundreds of uses. its a simple utility module which at first might not seem useful, but when i'm playing live i probably tweak those modules more than any other. if you want funk in your music, a must have.

but there are many other modules i find invaluable,

multiple envelopes - invaluable. the A143-2 is so much more than a quad envelope, or Make Noise Maths way more than just two EGs, awesome.
sequential switches - A151 (again ive got loads of them) rhythmic distribution of triggers or audio or anything else for that matter.
switched multiples - A182-1 (ive got 10 of these) - absolutely essential to me.
VC switches - A150
offset generators - A183-2

it might sound as if i just buy lots of each module, but these are just about the only ones i have more than one of, and i only started with one, and realised the power of these modules and gradually bought more. they also look a but mundane and boring, but utility modules are the most important part of my set-up.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jacksonick wrote:This thread has been very inspiring, thanks everyone.

OK, I've just won the bidding on a doepfer a140 and an MFB drum 04. apart from power supply, what do you think I should be looking for next?

I'd rather not use my computer so I don't really want to take the shortcut of getting a midi to cv module.

Perhaps an LFO?
its difficult to advise you there bro, its probably best to start by sequencing from your computer (i did), simply because it requires a lot of modules to do anything other than the simplest sequencing, which a computer can do without breaking sweat.

my ultimate aim was always modular sequencing, but it was a big help to build my system with the modules which produced audio first to get a foothold, then once you've got some spare cash you can gradually build your sequencing side up.
this way your modular is useable from the start. a computer will never integrate as well as a modular sequencing set-up, but it can help you get a start.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:it's probably a bit OT, but with me I really value synergy.
i'm quite happy with the synergy i get from all my different makes of modules. no problem there.

i totally understand why you have your approach, everyone has their own, thats whats so great about modular.
for me though, if i was only buying one manufacturer, where the modules are designed to work together, it would seem like i was just buying a regular synthesizer in bits.

why limit something that is inherently limitless. its like the guys who wont buy Makenoise modules, because the graphics spoil the look of their rig, or the ones who buy hundreds of the same knobs because they cant handle the look of different knobs from different manufacturers, or the guys who only use black patch cords even though it makes it almost impossible to know whats going on in the spagetti....

only pulling your leg bro
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i guess there's something anal about it... but i've been there and done that with limitless systems. On computer I could do almost anything possible, but to have things built as modules where the designer has taken a few circuits and put them into a special little machine.. that honestly is really important to me creatively to have something fixed.

And I've tried lots of other modules from other manufacturers but there's something that always draws me back to the Wiard.

Don't get me wrong, there are limits in the vision of one person, and there are flaws and problems to overcome with the Wiard stuff.
jacksonick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jacksonick »

steevio wrote:
jacksonick wrote:This thread has been very inspiring, thanks everyone.

OK, I've just won the bidding on a doepfer a140 and an MFB drum 04. apart from power supply, what do you think I should be looking for next?

I'd rather not use my computer so I don't really want to take the shortcut of getting a midi to cv module.

Perhaps an LFO?
its difficult to advise you there bro, its probably best to start by sequencing from your computer (i did), simply because it requires a lot of modules to do anything other than the simplest sequencing, which a computer can do without breaking sweat.

my ultimate aim was always modular sequencing, but it was a big help to build my system with the modules which produced audio first to get a foothold, then once you've got some spare cash you can gradually build your sequencing side up.
this way your modular is useable from the start. a computer will never integrate as well as a modular sequencing set-up, but it can help you get a start.
I'm just eager to start with the sequencing because it baffles me and I want to understand it in an activist sense.

To be honest I haven't even got an external soundcard yet and I'll need one for recording anyway. I've just spotted a doepfer mixer going cheap, maybe get that then save for a nice VCO.

Thanks.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

steevio wrote:but utility modules are the most important part of my set-up.
this is the same for me in my software work flow. i use ableton's velocity plugin like crazy and i'm always shocked when people say they've never touched it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i guess there's something anal about it... but i've been there and done that with limitless systems. On computer I could do almost anything possible, but to have things built as modules where the designer has taken a few circuits and put them into a special little machine.. that honestly is really important to me creatively to have something fixed.

And I've tried lots of other modules from other manufacturers but there's something that always draws me back to the Wiard.

Don't get me wrong, there are limits in the vision of one person, and there are flaws and problems to overcome with the Wiard stuff.
we alll limit ourselves one way or the other, i probably limit myself in ways you dont with my methods. like you say limits can be useful and drive your creativity.