modular etc etc

- ask away
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: modular etc etc

Post by headband »

Well that is a Buchla modular synth, so you'd be paying upwards of 10,000$ to get a configuration like the one in the video above.

but that is why the eurorack format is so cool, a lot of manufacturers are making modules that can emulate functions of things like the Buchla usually for much less (200-500$) What's cool about that set-up there and why I think it sound so alive is all the self-modulating buchla modules, you can do a lot of the functions they're doing with various eurorack modules though. Make Noise is making a lot of Buchla-esque modules, they're coming out with a dual oscillator soon that's inspired by the Buchla one and they have quite a few ones already like the Maths and the Wogglebug that emulate functions of the Buchla modules.

I don't know if the Kraftzwerg would be a good starter for emulating the Buchla-style modular set-up (random cv-generators, wave-folding, etc.)
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

steevio wrote:^^^
yeah that wouldnt be low enough for me either, i usually have my kicks between D# and B most usually G or G#

i'm loving the BD808, the mod is simply a tuning pot replacing a resistor, i'm going to make a 2hp breakout panel with the pot on it.
the BD909 is still not ready afaik, but Gur said there would be a tuning pot on it as the 909 circuit is more stable..
@steevio is this mod documented somewhere?
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

headband wrote:I've finally been making the plunge into eurorack, I ended up going with a Monorocket case since analoguehaven was out of the Doepfer portable cases, anyone have a monorocket case???
I've got a Monorocket Mission6 case. It has been great for me.

The only problem you will find is that with a modular synth no matter which case you get it will never be big enough. ;-)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

metaBit wrote:
steevio wrote:^^^
yeah that wouldnt be low enough for me either, i usually have my kicks between D# and B most usually G or G#

i'm loving the BD808, the mod is simply a tuning pot replacing a resistor, i'm going to make a 2hp breakout panel with the pot on it.
the BD909 is still not ready afaik, but Gur said there would be a tuning pot on it as the 909 circuit is more stable..
@steevio is this mod documented somewhere?
yeah i posted it here;

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... &start=560

its on page 29 of the thread
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tsankip wrote:I was wondering if the modular heads would be kind enough to explain what is used to make such kind of stuff in general? What modules would you need for a pretty basic set up? I'm really fascinated with the idea of a machine that is almost alive. I hope that someone could give a few tips so I can get the general idea. Cheers!

Would it be reasonable to consider a Kraftzwerg as a starter?
like headband said, buchla has been thoroughly cloned in eurorack modular, but buchla-esque modules arent really necessary to make the kind of music in the video.

my own feelings on semi-modulars like the kraftzwerg, are that once you begin to buy actual modules, the semimodular will seem to be lacking and not totally intergrateable with the rest of your rig. one of the most important features of modulars is the interconnectivity and flexibility. with a semi-modular there will be a lack of CV inputs to control some parameters, which to me would be really annoying. its also quite annoying to have modules which dont have enough CV inputs, it really limits what you can do. my first priority when looking at modules to buy is 'are there plenty of CV inputs' as some of the cheaper more budget modules dont.

my advice would always be; start a true modular, do'nt be distracted by semi-modulars as an introduction. you dont really need an introduction, if you know the basics of synthesis, you will work it all out very quickly.

as far as advice on modules to start with, well that depends on what you want to do with it. for instance you could build a nice filterbank with a row of different analogue filters to process your digital audio, or you could go for a basic monosynth, but i would advise you get on the Muffwiggler forum, and read all the other noob threads about starting up, and read all the advice that is given there;

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewfo ... 5b85bd70b6
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Thanks a lot! I got the answer to everything I wanted to know.
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

Speaking of Buhcla-esque Eurorack things; I really wanted to add a Low Pass Gate to my system, the Malekko Borg seems like the obvious answer, but what do the rest of you guys think??
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Borg is slightly more expensive than the other options. if you get one second hand you the price is ok.

The ones wih white knobs and black knobs are slightly different. Borg1 is a bit creamier and softer, but resonance is less controllable. It's thwappier in VCA mode and leaves more of a trail.Black knobs resonance goes to sub audio, is generally a bit tighter and faster.

i didn't use a QMMG but the Borg is great. I prefer to use it in series with another LPG like another Borg or a Boogie. One acting as kind of a filter and the other acting as kind of a vca.