Re: [UNDERSTAND002] Praslesh – Out of time EP

Post by fir3 »

^ yeah, forgot about the early 'traversa' discussions in this topic :) thanks
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

JasperW89 wrote:Maybe it's a little bit selfish but I like the fact that these releases are so limited. It makes it extra special to have in your collection... And I think that's also what they try to achieve with these limited pressings, not to make money but just offer a special record.
i see your point.. imo the whole pre-sale marketing is part of the problem.. those releases don't need extra hype advertisement before they are released, this makes things just worse.. that's different to stablo.. stablo records just appear all of a sudden.. no one is spinning promos while beeing recorded and no one posts samples of the tracks months before the release..

still it didn't help a lot considering the recent second hand prices, but such advertisment imo is like rubbing salt into a wound..

imo the solution to this is either pressing more or announcing that the stuff gets repressed from time to time cause this just kills the second hand market..
Last edited by roland on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

ill still be buying the record.

fine it might be a bit overpriced, but if i miss it ill only have to go back in a few years and get it and the chances are the price will be even higher then. If I decide I dont want it anymore, I can always sell it.
MauritsR
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MauritsR »

I agree with al things said about the people who are trying to make a quick buck. But ,also pointed out by others, this is something label owners can't change without killing their original filosofie. Which is limited pressing to keep it special. It's a difficult discussion because i know for a fact that these guys really hate it to see that people are just buying to resell for ridiculous prices, but they are powerless to do anything about it.
About the format discussion. In my opinion pressing vinyl only is a good thing. I know it only caters to people who a. own turntables and b. are probably dj's. And of course one of the consequences of pressing vinyl only is that you don't cater to a lot of serious music lovers out there but for them there is always the dj's sets online or the actual party where these guys play. Why is it necessary to have these tracks in full quality etc if your not going to play them out? You can always just cut it out of a set for personal listening purposes right?
fir3
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fir3 »

MauritsR wrote:You can always just cut it out of a set for personal listening purposes right?
Actually, I believe that would count as piracy. Don't get me wrong, I don't condemn it, but, form my understanding, in some countries, if you get caught, you're screwed.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Limited pressings to keep it special sounds to me like hyping the whole phenomena. I think they already proven they can sell their stock with arpiar. Why would that be different with same artists releasing on other labels?
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

MauritsR wrote:I know it only caters to people who a. own turntables and b. are probably dj's.
Exactly. What's more important is that the guys behind these labels are the djs themselves... So in order to understand the limited pressing thing you sort of have to understand the mentality of a dj. Every dj wants to play exclusive tracks. This is especially true for the romanian guys. Don't know about you, but i consider myself lucky if i can identify at least 15% of the tracks they play. And since they're not doing this simply for the money or the fame (but for the glory), the limited pressing totally makes sense... By the djs, for the djs... I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say that in a way they make/release records for themselves.

PS// Though i still think they should press more copies. Or at least make annual/biennial limited represses.