modular etc etc

- ask away
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: modular etc etc

Post by widdly »

Some of the more expensive midi-cv converters can do multiple channels. I think the Kenton Pro 2000 will do two independent channels. Elby designs sells a box called a PolyDAC that will do multiple channels.

I have one I built one based on the ucapps.de midibox that has 8 gates and 8 cv's and can be set to be 1 mono with a bunch of midi CC's, 8 monos on different channels or a 8 note polyphonic.

Another option is Motm Volta or Silent Way.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:for AK;

i'm sure ive done this for you before but got no response, so it might have been in a wrong thread, but here you go;

first you will need a PSU / mounting rails / bussboards. the best option i think is the Doepfer DIY kit. If you've got even the most basic ability to drill a hole with a power drill, you could mount theses in any 19" rack case by attaching the rails to two pieces of aluminium angle (from Focus or B&Q, a couple of quid). if you dont have a 19" rack, you can pick them up cheap on Ebay, infact i've even got two to sell myself.

http://www.emismusic.co.uk/doepfera100.htm see DIY kit1...........................................£99

VCO is a matter of taste, but personally going from digital/VA/hardware synth world into modular this VCO is great as it has digital readout of frequency / note /octave, it has different waveform outputs on seperate jacks, waveshaping / linear and log FM / sync /plus other features, and it sounds great.

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z3k.php?goto=features.....................................................£205

there are much cheaper options (about half the price from the likes of Analogue Solutions)
http://analoguesolutions.org.uk/v2/concussor/

if it was me i'd want a second VCO for FM'ing and waveshaping the main VCO to give lots of other timbres, for this you could go for a cheap simple one, only problem with a cheapo one is that it probably wont have a sine output, which is very useful for FM'ing your main VCO. you can also use it as a sub VCO as well

theres a lot of leeway here so lets say on average .........................£100

Envelope, for bass i use an Analogue systems RS60, its a superb EG, and its got two outputs, so you can use it on both filter cutoff and VCA, but this gives you less control than two separate ones.

http://www.analoguesystems.com/...........................RS60.......................................(.£115)

OR----
but a really good option would be a Doepfer A143-2 -a quad ADSR, so you would have two for your bass and two spare for extra EG duties, eg loop them together and use as an LFO, this way you could maybe avoid buying an LFO to start with, and more useful probably than an LFO for bass

http://www.emismusic.co.uk/a143x2.htm.....................................................£163

VCF / VCA i would go for the combined option and go for a TipTop Z2040, absolutely superb filter, and no need to buy a VCA, this is what i use for bass, and whenever anyone comes in my studio they always comment on how good the bass sounds.

http://postmodular.co.uk/tiptop/z2040-4-pole-vcf.......................................£150

you might need a small mixer to mix your sub and main VCO ( £40 max ) but i wouldnt bother with a sub, i'd be more looking at FM, i've never found the need for a sub for bass in all the years ive been making music, i just dont see the point, the fundamental of your bass is a sinewave sub in its own right.

so you are talking £730 for a Bass synth with extras that will sound awesome, and can be expanded into a full blown modular system by simply buying modules everytime you've got a spare £35 to £200 (roughly the price range of most modules) as you'll have room in your case for alot more.
but you could do it much cheaper if you bought Analogue Solutions modules, maybe even for about £450
it depends how desperate you are to have the best bass sound available.

ive done this list thing a few times now, it takes up time, so if anyone else asks about a simple bass synth in modular please point them here, and it would be interesting to compare other peoples advice on this.

Thanks very much Steevio, appreciated. :D I have been reading the thread just a little tied up with Xmas/work and what not, will post some more in-depth stuff regarding this asap. But thanks.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i have a question:
dont really know what to add to my system to achieve the most versatile results with just a small nr. of modules.
actually i want a new filter but i wonder if that´s enough to get it working.

i got a dark energy + anti osc + moog phaser + moog cp251.
so some control stuff is covered with the cp251 but ofcourse different jack sizes arent that useful. dont want to sell it cause i got it used for a good price and will add another moog pedal sooner or later.
so i was looking at some borg filter or a korgasmatron. i also think about using the filters to run other audio thru.
would adding just a filter be enough or do i better get also some control modules / mixers / mults etc to use the filter to its full potential?
i guess just adding the filter wouldnt be enough.

merry xmas btw :)
techno made me do it
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I run audio (samples, other synths) through modular filters all the time. The most important thing is getting the audio up to modular levels. I'm not 100% sure if I'm right, but it's something like 0db is 1 volt and modular sound levels are at 10-12 volts. So, it really needs cranked. The doepfer A-119 is designed specifically for this (plus you can plug guitars in too). Plus, it has a envelope follower which makes it even more awesome.

Also, the Expert Sleepers ES-3 can handle this as well as voltages. Great module for anyone with ADAT out.

I'd vote for the Korgasmotron. I've been drooling over that thing since it came out. That and the Cwejman DMF-2. I've put the DMF-2 in the shopping cart a million times. Just haven't pulled the trigger....yet.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Been reading into that steevio and copied it to a text document, after the new year I'm gonna start reasearching it more and will probably post a thread as it's quite an in depth thing.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote: so some control stuff is covered with the cp251 but ofcourse different jack sizes arent that useful. dont want to sell it cause i got it used for a good price and will add another moog pedal sooner or later.
so i was looking at some borg filter or a korgasmatron. i also think about using the filters to run other audio thru.
would adding just a filter be enough or do i better get also some control modules / mixers / mults etc to use the filter to its full potential?
i guess just adding the filter wouldnt be enough.

merry xmas btw :)
merry xmas deccard.

dont worry about different jack sizes, just get a few mini-jack to 1/4" jack converters, like the type you would use on headphones, and stick them on the ends of your patchcords, or make up some patch cords with different jacks on each end.
filters on their own are fine, you can control it from your computer, but if you want to expand, you should probably get at least an envelope.
if you're going for a Corgasmatron, maybe look at a Makenoise Maths for EG/LFO dutiies

mults are almost redundant these days, you are better off with TipTop stack cables.
mixers only useful if you've got enough things to mix, if you have enough inputs/outputs on your sound card, you shouldnt need one.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

just an update on the Tiptop roland modules;

I spoke to Gur at Tiptop, and the bd909 will have a pitch control when it comes out YAY !!!

he also sent details of how to add a potentiometer to the bd808 for tuning the pitch, simple soldering job.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

@steevio:

This is quite some great news :o Been waiting for those modules since you told about them.
Did he mention about when the 909 modules were coming out? is it possible to pre-order them?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk