nonplaced
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by nonplaced »

Here are a couple of audio samples.

The dry version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23299706/rickyk ... 02-dry.aif

Then quickly + haphazardly processed using Ableton's built-in EQ + compressor, pitched down by four semitones in Simpler.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23299706/rickyk ... 02-wet.aif

My monitoring setup doesn't lend itself at all well to bass unfortunately; it's still a fair way off. I have to say though, it's pretty interesting doing geeky forensic stuff like this.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Themis wrote:why do you think he is a natural talent? the guy makes music for 20 years if not much longer Oo
Yep I think innate talent is a myth to a large extent - some people learn faster than others and everyone will have their own sound and some may just have more of a natural affinity for those things but a large part of it is just spending hours/months/years learning!

Interesting to see Ricardo's been using that Electribe ER, I've always considered picking one up as they're pretty cheap, kinda avoiding new gear as I've pretty much run out of inputs though...
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Is it just me or does the tune in first post have a sh!t kick drum? I listened to it last night and it sounded pretty thin to me. Maybe it was just the youtube compression, but I kept waiting for the kick to drop until I realized it already did 4 minutes in. The delay effects were easy to hear, but the kick itself was pretty weak overall.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:Is it just me or does the tune in first post have a sh!t kick drum? I listened to it last night and it sounded pretty thin to me. Maybe it was just the youtube compression, but I kept waiting for the kick to drop until I realized it already did 4 minutes in. The delay effects were easy to hear, but the kick itself was pretty weak overall.
its not just you bro, thats not a kick for me, thats a click
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

yep it sounds like a click.

however when im at fabric listening to this sort of music at 6am it sounds so good. There is no click like kick drums, it works perfectly and sounds well punchy.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:yep it sounds like a click.

however when im at fabric listening to this sort of music at 6am it sounds so good. There is no click like kick drums, it works perfectly and sounds well punchy.
if you'd played a tune with a kick like that in a mid 90s warehouse party, you'd have been dragged off the decks by some well punchy geezers :)
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

:D

I have to agree. At Fabric they do sound really really nice and I like them a lot more than those banging kick track sets that Richards has played whilst I've been over there.