ableton limiting

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

No need to worry about this i think we are just reading into this incorrectly.. simple mistake but... all he is saying that USUALLY you would involve a limiter in your master.

I don't think he is talking about live at this point at all. Only that producers should put limiter on master. and when it starts working(when you see gain reduction), you are pushing the mix to hard.
::BLM:: wrote:
Also have a look that your Ableton master Fader is set to 0dB. A lot of producers take there channel levels too high,
then go down with the master fader to prevent output distortions. What most people don´t know that in the master section
is also a Limiter involved
. So this limiter works & make your recording loud.
It is good to have a limiter like Voxengo Elephant or similar in the master bus to monitor/check the level. Just set it to 0dB
when it starts working/limiting you know that your level is a bit too high.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

hydrogen wrote:Only that producers should put limiter on master. and when it starts working(when you see gain reduction), you are pushing the mix to hard.
Should they now? I tend to avoid putting anything on the master. Surely there's no need if you're mixing at sensible levels (i.e. master peaking well under zero)?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

simonb wrote:
hydrogen wrote:Only that producers should put limiter on master. and when it starts working(when you see gain reduction), you are pushing the mix to hard.
Should they now? I tend to avoid putting anything on the master. Surely there's no need if you're mixing at sensible levels (i.e. master peaking well under zero)?
You didn't understand why he suggest it like that? It's so you are 100% sure you're not clipping, so it's just a help.
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

patrick bateman wrote:
simonb wrote:
You didn't understand why he suggest it like that? It's so you are 100% sure you're not clipping, so it's just a help.
simonb is "somehow" correct, if you consider the headroom you should leave for mastering. peaks at around -6dB on the 2buss is a safe way to go...(remember you DON'T LOSE anything, even if you're mixing at a -15dB level on your mixbuss)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Is it correct to leave the master on 0db and move the other channels down? Or does it not make a difference?
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

::BLM:: wrote:Is it correct to leave the master on 0db and move the other channels down? Or does it not make a difference?
It's the best to keep levels moderate in general (starting from the source before entering plugins--->channel). With my workflow I usually end up with the mentioned -6dB on my mixbuss. If it's a bit too high or low I balance with the Utility plugin or lower the output on my mixbuss EQ (if I use one) But hey, there's no rule ;)

EDIT: To answer your question, no it doesn't. You can lower the master fader and have no loss!

http://www.popmusic.dk/download/pdf/lev ... -audio.pdf
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I leave it anyhow and then I either group all the channels together and move the group down or just each one on its own.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i must say my sound improved when i watched the levels of each plug in. i ended up with -6db max in general on the master (the fader sits at 0db).
i watch out that plugs / synths dont overdrive without my knowledge.
some plugs can be run very hot in the input/output cause its part of the simulation but i do that on purpose.
i ended up with a much more punchy sound.
techno made me do it