Help me with my 1st track ( how can i improve it ? )

- ask away
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

is this realy your first (finished) track? your mixing skills seem indeed very solid for a beginner. you are talented. only the cowbell-loop seems a bit too backward in the mix. how many hours took it for you to finish this?

in my opinion when you are a beginner its not the right time for you to try to invent something fresh/new/inspiring/outofthebox. just stick with what you can and keep on producing and finishing your tracks. its not that important how they sound like right. this gets important later, just keep up the practice to improve your experience and technics project after project.

when you did this for a while your personal note and style will add automaticly.
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Teixeira »

Ty for the feedback

yeah its my 1st "finished" track... i have a lot of garbage around here!
they are mainly 8 or 16 loops that i have created only to learn or test something and not exactly to try to make music with them.

I have to agree with u guys... that its better to stick to what u have and finish your work, then try to create something fresh and get stuck for the rest of your life.

About the cowbell ... man idk if its backwards but it really do sounds weird ;)
And about the time that it took me...
It took around 6 hours of work to "complete" the track.
I'm a lazy kid.
but i'll try to work out some modifications in this track and try to improve it.

Thanks you all!
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Teixeira »

Well guys i have finished my track ;)
The complete worktime is 18 hours and the track have around 5 minutes.

heres the link => http://soundcloud.com/caiotxa/circle-screwdriver

i'm waiting ur feedback guys
Ty in advance
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

You seem to have added some extra percussive sounds, added the mangled, low pitched vocals, and made the breakdown a bit more epic and atmospheric - is that right?

For a start, if I'm right in saying you've added the shuffled 16th claves from the last version - why? That's the opposite of what I was hoping. You really can't get much more standard 2007 mnml than that. Its 2011 now mate, things have moved on. Use of standard cliche techniques like that will just instantly turn alot of people off.

Ditto I'm afraid the low pitched vocals. You've treated them nicely, actually, esp. the occasional grainy timestretching toward the end. But again, we've had at least FOUR YEARS of this kind of thing in "mnml"! Aren't YOU bored of them? Seriously?

Also there's still not enough melodic/harmonic content to the track. However you achieve it, there needs to be something with some emotional resonance in here.

All in all, it's fine to copy standard established styles to build up your skills, which you've clearly done to an impressive standard. But at this point your production abilities are being wasted on old, derivative & tired sounds, on an overall sound that has been totally and utterly done to death.

You're late to that party mate, so it's time to throw your own.
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Teixeira »

again a nice and real honest feedback by dusk ;)
i love ur feedback becouse u are completly honest with me ^^

Now the reply =D

"You seem to have added some extra percussive sounds, added the mangled, low pitched vocals, and made the breakdown a bit more epic and atmospheric - is that right?" u are right bout it =D

about the turn ppl off subject...
man i dont know, i started to listen to mnml and techno for like 6 months or less and i dont realy know what is "inovation" and what is "standard" at the proper manner so i'm trully sorry if i "disapointed" u. Maybe if i start to listen some new tracks i can see the diference, specialy if u can recomend me some guys u actually think they have a fresh and smoth sound =D

About the vocals i have recorded them at my home and treated them with delay and stuffs, and i'm not "bored" of them becouse for me it still new since i'm not an old listener of mnml and techno styles.

About the melodic stuff... i'm not that great with melodies and emotinoal sounds and i tryed it but i could find something that fit this track =/

now about tha wasting my skills on old and derivative and tired sounds, i dont realy know if its a total waste becouse this track really teached me a lot of stuffs like the vocals and etc.

I will for sure try to find my "own" style of music, but everything comes with time, so i'll keep trying and someday i'll hit my sound.

Ty u for the great feedback
c ya soon dusk