modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

RE: Goomba

You can probably try out a simple Ground Loop Isolator (approx £15) which I believe will solve a ground loop.

Although for the long term I think it would be best to pinpoint the problem. The fact that the monorocket guy has said that something might be at fault, it's possible that it could be something with the case. I think audio gear needs to be wired quite carefully to avoid ground loop problems, but it is possible.

But like mentioned, the problem could also be with the speakers or the mixer I think?

I think the Monorocket guy should be able to help, if he knows that you're in AU, and it will be a pain for you to ship the case, then he will likely want to help you elimiate everything to isolate the problem. He will want to understand the possiblities of your set up, and will be able to provide some good technical info.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mo's taverne wrote:Oblio, Steevio
thanks for your feedback. I guess the semi-modular stuff isn't as open and flexible as a full modular. hhmm, i'll check out muffwiggler for more research. great link! cheers.

mo
Do it! It's a really great resource.

Modular is a very large new world, and it takes a lot of research to get into it properly, but the rewards are endless. You will need to forget lots of things that you thought you knew, and be ready for your ideas about music making to change quite a lot.

The advice from Steevio about starting out with just the audio side and using the computer for sequencing using a midi-CV converter is a good one.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

O.k the new jack did not solve the problem. I'm in a small room so my speakers are very close to my case and yes they are powered speakers (Taking the case to dad's today to see if it's the speakers) . If the mixer was the problem I would still be hearing noise when using the headphone out? I have also sent the output straight into a mono input on my soundcard and I'm still getting noise. I have no other gear plugged in to the mixer or the soundcard including my laptop.
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

theres a 99% chance its one of two things;

ground loop
faulty power supply.

but i would expect you to still get some hum in your headphones if it was the PSU.

you can tell if its a ground loop in 10 seconds by taking the ground wire from the plug that feeds your case PSU.

i dont know which country youre in so i dont know what the plugs are like.
it's not dangerous as long as you take the ground wire off while everything is switched off, and the plug it all back in with the mains switch off, then switch the mains back on but dont touch anything. (its not actually that dangerous, as you will be grounded through your mixer,but i dont want to be responsible for you frying)
if the hum is gone you can go out and buy a ground lifter and your problem is solved. the ground lifter is just a safe way to do what you did with taking the ground wire off.
ive been gigging for years with the ground wire disconnected on my laptop power supply for the same reason, i didnt even buy a ground lifter, and i'm still here, but i wouldnt recommend it as a permenant solution, its a test.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I have a Blacet PSU, which is quite carefully built. The earth terminal from the mains is not connected on it.

I guess Mr Blacet feels that there is no chance that mains AC would suddenly leap thru the circuit and into anything that the user would touch.

I was talking to a guy from the UK who makes cases and says that it is possible to isolate the ground from audio circuits and still keep the safety connection. he might have been talking about a ground lifter? He also recommended the ground loop isolators.

It's definitely worth seeing what the Monorocket guy says about the issue.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

aah. thanks!
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I want one of them waldorf microWAVE XTk's. Used to use one back when I was at uni and it was a beast.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:I want one of them waldorf microWAVE XTk's. Used to use one back when I was at uni and it was a beast.
How much do those go for 2nd hand nowadays?