hardware samplers

- ask away
aticatac
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aticatac »

Shame the Emulator III doesn't have the same functionality as the Ultra, it's got analog filters, you'd obviously never get that in software.
I would even say that the digital filters in Kontakt are quite different to the filters in E-mu. Which one is better is matter of preference. The analog E-mu filter sounds surely wonderful, but the 24db lowpass in the Ultra sounds interesting too. Those who happen to own the two are lucky because they can choose between the sound of two filters.
Jovan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jovan »

EMU sp 1200 is the nastiest off them all !!!
http://www.myspace.com/jovankoo Listen to it my music is RAW-er than yor Pron
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

I just remember the using the akai's at college and having about as much fun as I did trying to edit on a reel to reel, took ages to loop and trim samples and the memory limit was also a big issue. I tend not to use samples anymore and when i do I find that Cubase usually is enough for me. Another of my mates is on the hardware sampling tip too and Im trying to discourage him. Seems like such a waste of time and effort, Id rather buy an analogue filter and a couple of tube preamps and process the signal from the comp or any other source.
x
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:I just remember the using the akai's at college and having about as much fun as I did trying to edit on a reel to reel, took ages to loop and trim samples and the memory limit was also a big issue. I tend not to use samples anymore and when i do I find that Cubase usually is enough for me. Another of my mates is on the hardware sampling tip too and Im trying to discourage him. Seems like such a waste of time and effort, Id rather buy an analogue filter and a couple of tube preamps and process the signal from the comp or any other source.
x
exactly
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

MarcAshken wrote:I just remember the using the akai's at college and having about as much fun as I did trying to edit on a reel to reel, took ages to loop and trim samples and the memory limit was also a big issue. I tend not to use samples anymore and when i do I find that Cubase usually is enough for me. Another of my mates is on the hardware sampling tip too and Im trying to discourage him. Seems like such a waste of time and effort, Id rather buy an analogue filter and a couple of tube preamps and process the signal from the comp or any other source.
x
But its about getting out the box.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
x
But its about getting out the box.
into a worse box ?

i'm starting to question this whole OTB thing. what is the point of going from something which is on the cutting edge of design, which can be controlled by state of the art controllers, to old technolgy which is hard to work with and generally doesnt sound as good.

i'm a totally OTB 'analogue only' producer and i dont use digital instruments at all now, but i can see the advantages of software synthesis and how it has progressed in the last 10 years.

like Mark Ashken says all of the old kit was hard to work with.

if you are going to go out of the box, get something thats actually better than the ITB equivalent. if you want to grunge things up, get a good quality analogue filter, or tube processor, analogue desk, these things cannot be reproduced in software yet, maybe never.

my kickdrum set up at present is an Mbase 01 + metasonix R51 tubeVCA/distortion, and i can get literally any kickdrum sound you could think of in seconds by turning a few knobs, it makes fucking around layering samples seem like the stone age, and i can change the sound of the kick on the fly, giving it more punch or whatever by turning one knob.

imo that's worth getting out of the box for.

just doing it to so that you've got a bit of hardware is totally pointless.

some hardware is just plain sh!t...believe me.

i'm not suggesting that AK shouldnt get himself an Emu sampler, i have no personal experience of them,

but i do question going out of the box for the sake of it.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote:
my kickdrum set up at present is an Mbase 01 + metasonix R51 tubeVCA/distortion, and i can get literally any kickdrum sound you could think of in seconds by turning a few knobs, it makes fcking around layering samples seem like the stone age, and i can change the sound of the kick on the fly, giving it more punch or whatever by turning one knob.
So, you're happy with the mbase now? Not saying you weren't happy, but I remember you posting about tuning issues with it and possibly some frustration with it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
steevio wrote:
my kickdrum set up at present is an Mbase 01 + metasonix R51 tubeVCA/distortion, and i can get literally any kickdrum sound you could think of in seconds by turning a few knobs, it makes fcking around layering samples seem like the stone age, and i can change the sound of the kick on the fly, giving it more punch or whatever by turning one knob.
So, you're happy with the mbase now? Not saying you weren't happy, but I remember you posting about tuning issues with it and possibly some frustration with it.
OT, but the only issue i had with it was the imprecise tuning, ive got round that by tuning my rig to the mbase in the keys i most comingly use, at the moment thats D# alot, and luckily the mbase tunes to A# quite accurately, so its kick on the perfect 5th.

not ideal for me personally, but i cant afford any more modules right now, as soon as i can the mbase gets replaced. other than that its a great piece of kit.

its probably not an issue for most people, but i have a very strict way of working with my bass.
also many people will work with it from midi so tuning wont be an issue, its an issue for me because i'm triggering it from my modular.